Monday, Sept. 14, 2026 - Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and West Virginia (with a quick touch into Kentucky) = A Long Day. I want to make up for lost time and lost ground. After 11-and-1/2 hours, 494 miles (and 22 Post Offices), I checked into the Microtel Inn in Mineral Wells, West Virginia at 9 PM (East Coast Time, finally):
The 22 Post Offices cover from Rochester to Providence:
Wait - I thought I was somewhere in Southern Illinois???
Well, Kansas, Illinois does have some pretty cool Wall-Art:
Sometimes The Road Is Still BEING BUILT:
And then it was time to rack-up the "Interstate Miles" (221 miles, from Dennison, IL to Bethel, OH):
I did stop at the VERY COOL "Welcome to Indiana" Rest Stop:
I whipped past Indianapolis in early afternoon:
And there goes Cincinnati:
Southeast Ohio has wall-art, libraries, and the BEST POST OFFICE PHOTO I HAVE EVER TAKEN (45640 - Jackson, OH):
I crossed into West Virginia at 7:30 PM:
After 494 miles, I checked into the Microtel Inn in Mineral Wells, West Virginia at 9 PM (outside photo from the next morning):
Thank you God for this wonderful ILLINOIS-INDIANA-OHIO-WEST VIRGINIA Adventure Day!
Music for today:
In the Hotel Room:
various - If You're Going To The City: A Tribute To Mose Allison, 2019 tribute album, last heard in a blog never. With Taj Mahal, Jackson Browne, Chrissie Hynde, and Bonnie Raitt (among others), this is a nice album of Mose Allison songs:
Time to hit The Road:
The Temptations - The Ultimate Collection (Temptations), 1997 compilation album, last heard in a blog never. Excellent Collection:
Bill Morrissey - Inside, 1992 album, last heard 7/10/2024 - Wendy and I love Bill's stuff. Very sad he died in 2011.
This past year I have been listening to my iPod, but for a few months I was listening alphabetically, in the "C's". It is a wonderful way to experience the songs of my life, song-by-song, sometimes one version followed by another. At one point "Casey, Illinois" came up (from Bill Morrissey's album "Inside"), and it sounded BEAUTIFUL. Since I knew I was doing a Fall-roadtrip, I made a point of going through Casey, Illinois. Today is that day. All I got from that town is their Post Office:
but here are some of Bill's lyrics:
Well, through the years
Each mile just added to the distance
Between us two
And somewhere on some road
I crossed that line, I moved too far
Now there's nothing I can do
Vineyard Sound - In The Newes, 2009 album, last heard never - excellent a cappella music:
Cream - Wheels of Fire (2 cds), 1968 double-album, last heard in a blog 7/21/2024 - once again, very good listening to an old friend:
John Cougar Mellencamp - The Lonesome Jubilee, 1987 album, last heard in a blog 9/08/2023 - Well, I am driving through Indiana! (so I listened twice)
R.E.M. - Automatic For The People, 1992 album, last heard in a blog 9/12/2025. Excellent Album (listened twice):
various - Billboard Top Hits: 1987, 1994 compilation album, last heard in a blog never. 10 great songs from 1987:
various - Billboard Top Hits: 1983, 1994 compilation album, last heard in a blog never. 10 great songs from 1983:
Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/






























No comments:
Post a Comment