Friday, September 13, 2013

Day Two: Salamanca, NY - 5 museums - Jackson, MI



Yesterday's storms swept through during the night, and after a few scattered showers this morning, it was a beautiful day. I left Salamanca, NY at 7:45 AM heading west, then south. The Butler Institute of American Art in Youngstown, OH opens at 11 AM, and I parked at 10:55 ... thank you God. The timing today worked out perfectly, even though it got a little long once the sun went down.

I have to keep reminding myself that "this is not a contest" and "this is not a race". I feel blessed that I can appreciate each item I view. Warren Zevon said "Enjoy every sandwich", but I think my philosophy of "Enjoy every bite" takes it a little bit further.

Having said that, I visited five museums and saw dozens of beautiful paintings!

4 Albert Bierstadt

4 Frederic Edwin Church

10 Thomas Cole

7 Jasper Cropsey

5 Asher Brown Durand

4 Sanford Robinson Gifford

1 William Stanley Haseltine

5 Martin Johnson Heade

2 Thomas Hill

3 Winslow Homer

7 John Frederick Kensett

8 Claude Monet

3 Thomas Moran

4 JMW Turner

My two favorites from today are a Yosemite piece and a Venice piece:


Thomas Hill

Bridal Viel Falls, Yosemite


Joseph Mallord William Turner

View of Venice: The Ducal Palace, Dogana, and Part of San Giorgio, 1841

Friday, Sept. 13, 2013

Holiday Inn Express, 779 Broad St, Salamanca, NY 14779 877.859.5095

2 3/4 hours -- Butler Institute of American Art, Youngstown, OH 11 am - 4 pm

1 1/4 hours -- The Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, OH 10 am - 9 pm

3/4 hour -- Allen Memorial Art Museum, Oberlin, OH 10 am - 5 pm

1 1/2 hours -- Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo, OH 10 am - 9 pm

1 hour -- Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit, MI 9 am - 10 pm

1 1/4 hours -- Super 8, 2001 Shirley Dr, Jackson, MI 49202 517.788.8780

here is today's playlist:

The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed


The Beatles - Let It Be


The Beatles - Rubber Soul (Capitol Album)


Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head


Steely Dan - The Royal Scam


Garland Jeffreys - Escape Artist


Bob Marley - Exodus


Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy


George Thorogood - Move It On Over


Bob Weir - Ace


Grateful Dead - Grateful Dead


The Miles Davis Quintet - Workin'


2 comments:

  1. Good ol' Jackson, Michigan. Those are my old stomping grounds, Dennis, and my parents still live very near there, in Spring Arbor, Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last comment was from Fr. Adam at CTR. It signed me into my Google account, but still shows me as "unknown." Whatever.

    ReplyDelete