Friday, September 27, 2013

Day Sixteen: hiking in Grand Teton National Park & rafting the Snake River

I promised a map for yesterday's activities


and these should cover today




Because my float trip had been postponed from 8 AM to 10 AM, and then to 2 PM, I went hiking - with my winter coat, hat, neck warmer, and gloves, it wasn't bad at all. I planned to start at the Jenny Lake Visitor Center (closed for the rest of the year) and go up to Hidden Falls, then Inspiration Point, and then as far up Cascade Canyon Trail as I could get, given my time constraints. I first stopped at the Chapel of Transfiguration (a little prayer never hurts, for myself, and Wendy and Deede)


This is a nicer map showing my plans


The 11 AM view out over Jenny Lake is great!


I'm not going to let a little snow stop me!


I'm glad they tell us to stay on the trail


because, you know, I was thinking about going "off trail" - well, maybe not!


The view from Inspiration Point is, well, inspiring!




Going up into Cascade Canyon was gorgeous




and the mountains are raw and new and pretty cool




Back down just in time to make the rafting trip


it was great rushing down the Snake River




and we even saw several bald eagles


The two-hour trip is well worth it - it is beautiful, and iconic, and a special place. I highly recommend Barker-Ewing Raft Trips and Reed Finley, their Senior Boatman




You may have noticed that there were no pictures of "Hidden Falls" - that is because I was so excited that I missed the turn (I was also so excited that I forgot to shave this morning!). Because tomorrow is a full day - heading on to Cody (Whitney Museum of Western Art) and Sheriden (Willard Cook!) - and because it doesn't get light out here until (relatively) late in the morning, I'm going to postpone the 5-mile hike to Hidden Falls for another day (maybe June 2014). This time of year (September) is perfect for hiking the trails - clean clear views, minimum number of people, comfortable temperatures (usually), and no flies/mosquitoes. Unfortunately, lakes are low and waterfalls are at their minimum flow - although "late spring" is probably still too cold around here, June seems like the perfect time to view those water-related marvels.

Friday, Sept. 27
hiking in Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming
rafting down the Snake River

here is today's playlist:

Paul Atwater - his teaching at yesterday's Thursday Morning Mens Breakfast


The Rolling Stones - High Tide and Green Grass


Neil Young - Harvest


Thompson Square - Thompson Square (their 1st album)


Garland Jeffreys - American Boy & Girl


Pat Metheny Group - American Garage


1 comment:

  1. Dennis,
    Lyn Shields here, I just got on to your blog and love it. What beauty, both the real thing and the art. Thanks for sharing it with us. Also I am so glad to hear something about Wendy and Dede as I haven't heard much. Blessings to you. Lyn

    ReplyDelete