Sunday, September 22, 2013

Day Eleven: Salt Lake City - Shoshone Falls - Glacier National Park

810 miles driven today, 13 1/2 hours



I had a 245-mile stretch on I-15N this afternoon. You know, that means 4 hours at 60 mph ...
or just 3 hours at 80 mph:


In remembering various paintings, I remembered that Thomas Moran did a couple of paintings of Shoshone Falls on the Snake River in Idaho




So I was excited to fit in my visit to Shoshone Falls and the Snake River today. This first pair are at the Falls




and this upstream/downstream pair is from the Hansen Bridge further upstream




I was able to have lunch at an old favorite



This area going from Idaho into Montana is big and rolling/flat, with mountains far in the distance. These are a shot looking into Montana, and then turned around to see where I came from:




A storm swept through


and its aftermath was beautiful!!


and of course I saw more deer (4 times!)


It was a long, beautiful drive (more about MT-83 N on another day - this is now my 3rd favorite road)

And, even though I couldn't make it to church today, God made sure I wasn't left out - I passed a billboard with a quote from Ephesians, and another one with The Ten Commandments!

Sunday, Sept. 22
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 1/4 hours -- Shoshone Falls, Twin Falls, Idaho
8 3/4 hours -- Super 8 Columbia Falls, 7336 US 2, Columbia Falls, MT 59912 406.892.0888
(just outside/west of Glacier National Park!)

here is today's playlist:

Diana Krall - Live in Paris [she is playing in Salt Lake City Tuesday evening - darn, I'm out of town!]


Simple Minds - Live in the City of Light (2 cds)


Steely Dan - Alive In America [a song says "You'd go to LA on a dare and you'd go it alone" - sounds like me driving]


The BoDeans - Joe Dirt Car (live) (cd 1-of-2) [they have a song "Idaho"]


David Gilmour - Live in Gdansk


The Ventures - Live in Japan '65


Elton John - Madman Across The Water


Loud, Fast & Out of Control: Wild 50's Rock (cd 1-of-4)


Miles Davis - The Complete Concert 1964: ... (cd 1-of-2)


1 comment:

  1. A&W restaurant! How cool. I got to catch up on your blog posts today at lunch, and it is such an awesome adventure. Keep on keepin' on, Dad! Love, Caroline

    ReplyDelete