Thursday, September 26, 2013

Day Fifteen: hiking in Grand Teton National Park



I think that I know why Jackson Hole has been voted #1 ski area ... IT STARTS SNOWING SEPTEMBER 26th !!!


I don't know ... I think it is a little early to bring out the Warren Miller videos



Grand Teton National Park seems very compact, like if you took Glacier and compressed it. After the solitude of Glacier, I was a little taken aback by "bear jams" - people just stop and get out and take pictures

fyi I did see the bear - a black mass moving through the trees ?40 yards away - it was great to see it, but a picture would not have shown anything.

There is a new main visitors center, with a beautiful 3-d landscape


and yes, there are iconic views of the mountains above the Snake River




I drove down an off-the-beaten-path road, which started out paved but kind of turned into a dirt road, and wound up at the Pacific Creek Trailhead, so I took a quick little walk (yes, with my Bear Spray!)










at least I had no problem getting back into the Park


I am a real sucker for these beautiful National Park meadows!


As for wildlife (either they were camera-shy or I was shy the camera), a deer wandered through the backyard this morning, I saw a black bear moving through the Park woods, there was a moose in the meadow on the other side of the highway, a couple of bison were on a ranch, and I saw a couple of white-ish elk.

I keep crossing the Snake River - I have to map it in relation to my travels. And speaking of maps, no time for one today - I will include it in tomorrow's blog.

Thursday, Sept. 26
hiking/driving in Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming

here is today's playlist:

Jamie Cullum - Catching Tales


Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends


Neil Young - Time Fades Away (officially released live album, never out on cd, includes 3 beautiful acoustic cuts: "Journey Through the Past", "Love in Mind", "The Bridge")


McCoy Tyner - Time For Tyner


The Rascals - Time Peace (Greatest Hits)


Jack Johnson - To The Sea


The Beach Boys - Today!


Tom Rush - Tom Rush


No comments:

Post a Comment