Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Day Seven: Beaver Creek Trail to Beaver Lake to Turquoise Lake





I learned about Beaver Lake a few weeks ago, and it looked great
link to LocalHikes page

I drove up to Beaver Creek Ski Resort in Avon, CO, and all the people were very nice (I got a nice "Summer Hiking" map). I started up the Five Senses Hiking Trail, which was nice, and it ran right into the Beaver Lake Trail.









Here is the Google Earth view of Beaver Lake



Beaver Lake is 2 1/2 miles up. I had lunch at 1, then started continuing up the trail to Turquoise Lake. I didn't know exactly how far it was, but I figured I would just turn around "when it was time". 2 1/4 hours later, I got there! (no still pictures, but I do have a video - I'll figure out the link someday)

This is the LocalHikes page about Turquoise Lake.
link to LocalHikes page

Here is the Google Earth view of Turquoise Lake. I LOVE the ring of mountain ridge around the area.



Coming back down:







I did "Map My Walk" for the way back. Coming back down, in this meadow, I saw four deer jump up and bound away!





It took 2 hours to come all the way back down, and 7 1/2 miles (meaning 15 miles round trip - a very good workout!). Wow, what a day! A lot of light rain, and I took shelter in some packed-in trees for 10 minutes. 6 hours of hiking, and a really nice hot bath when I got back to Leadville.

Off to Salt Lake City (via Aspen) tomorrow - 8 hour trip. Then Muse Concert that evening (so it is Muse on the playlist tomorrow).

Wednesday, Sept. 18
Super 8, 1128 US 24, Leadville, CO 80461 719.486.3637
1 hour -- Beaver Creek Ski Resort
6 hours -- hiking
1 hour -- Super 8, 1128 US 24, Leadville, CO 80461 719.486.3637

here is today's playlist:

Cream - Disraeli Gears


Pink Floyd - The Division Bell


1 comment:

  1. Sitting on a conference call w/ Dell Singapore team right now… Grinding out a PowerPoint presentation for my boss… BUT living vicariously through you Uncle Dennis!

    Great posts, pics and maps, it’s like I am right there on the trail. God Bless You!

    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete