Friday, September 20, 2013

Day Nine: Utah Museum of Fine Arts - Snowbird hiking - Luke Bryan/Thompson Square/Florida Georgia Line





This morning Alison asked if I came all this way just to see four paintings in a museum? i said no, that today was going to be maybe the Best Day, combining the three reasons I am on the road: First (of course) is to see family and friends - Second is to hike the mountains, and the third is to see all the wonderful art on the way. I actually forgot to mention the Fourth - Live Concerts!! - and I am seeing two of them here in Salt Lake City! (I may never go home again).

Because I had a comfortable start this morning, I went directly to the Utah Museum of Fine Arts, which opened at 10. A very nice collection, although (being at/right next to a University) a bit too much "modern art" for my taste.


Thomas Cole, Pastoral Landscape with Fishermen, ca. 1826


Edgar Alwin Payne, Red Mesa, Monument Valley, UTah, c. 1935

Although other paintings I had hoped to see were not on display, maybe I'll get a chance to see them tomorrow. Note: if the only reason you are going somewhere is to see a specific work of art, call ahead to see if it is on display

After the Museum, I drove down to Little Cottonwood Canyon - this is one of my favorite places. Snowbird is 8 miles up the canyon, and Alta is just a little bit further. As a resort facility, Snowbird is excellent and offers the highest quality experience (views, customer service, amenities, snow, skiing) - unfortunately it is also kind-of-expensive. Having said that, going to Snowbird is always "worth it".


I think this was the complex that Deede and I stayed in a couple of winters ago.

I bought my Tram ticket at 11:55 and learned that the trams leave every 30 minutes on the hour/half-hour. I rushed over to the sandwich stand and said "What can you give me in five minutes?" She said "We cook burgers - how about chips or a bagel?" I just said to myself "STOP - relax - what's all the rush about - just take the next tram!" So - here is my lunch, on the terrace under a cloudless sky:


This is the opening shot from a video I shot going up the mountain (maybe I will upload and link to all the videos in a "Final Post")


This is a shot taken looking west down Little Cottonwood Canyon (my cheek bones hurt from smile cramps)


And this is looking southeast down into Mineral Basin


Because Mineral Basin is so steep, the Hiking Trail runs back-and-forth


I wound up going all the way across Mineral Basin, so this is a picture back to the west:


Going back up was a workout, but just put one foot in front of the other (just like Wendy and Deede going over the Pyrenees). Here are two shots going back down the LONG trail to the Base:


(with the Tram through the trees)


My iPhone battery died just after finishing my Mineral Basin adventure - at that point it said "4.97 miles, 1,420.6 ft gain". Start 10,820 ft, down to 9,459 ft, back up to the Tram, then down to 7,760 feet (Wikipedia). The Trail Map says it is 4 miles down Peruvian Gulch Trail, so that was 9 miles overall (with A LOT OF ELEVATION!!)





We saw a great country show tonight - a lot of fun! (We kind of liked Florida Georgia Line the best)





Friday, Sept. 20
Utah Museum of Fine Arts
Snowbird hiking
Luke Bryan/Thompson Square/Florida Georgia Line concert

here is today's playlist:

Neil Young - After The Gold Rush


Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me (06-01-2013)


Luke Bryan - Spring Break...Here to Party


Florida Georgia Line - Here's to the Good Times


1 comment:

  1. Sweet looking country Mr. Dixon. Need to get that hike on my bucket list. ~McMorrow

    ReplyDelete