Saturday, August 5, 2017

August 2017 - Day 2 (to St. Louis, MO)

Saturday, August 5, 2017 - Weston, West Virginia to Chesterfield, Missouri (629 miles):



There are NO POSTCARDS in West Virginia, so this wall poster from Super 8 is as close as I could get:


After I got down out of the twisty-turny mountains of West Virginia, it was a BEAUTIFUL day in Kentucky - not a cloud in the sky:


9 hours after I left the Super 8, I pulled into the Saint Louis Art Museum:



I had previously visited the Museum a few times, and mentioned in "this blog". At that time I saw about a dozen pieces I was interested in (i.e."in my app"), plus another dozen really cool pieces (Jackson Pollock, Van Gogh, Canaletto, plus Rodin and Frederic Remington sculptures). It is WONDERFUL to discover that this Museum rotates their collection, and, of the 15 pieces I could not view before, 10 of them were ON DISPLAY! They include:

a large William Trost Richards - Shoal Water, 1900:


a sublime Robert Scott Duncanson - View of the St. Anne's River, 1870:


William Trost Richards - In the Adirondack Mountains, 1857:


an early Albert Bierstadt - Olevano, 1856-57:


Canaletto - An Island in the Lagoon with a Gateway and a Church, 1743-44:


Giovanni Paolo Panini - Interior of St. Peter's, Rome, 1731:


my selfie with an old favorite - Claude Monet - Water Lilies, c. 1915-26:

sometimes everybody gets a little tired at the museum:


I went out of Forest Park to Washington University, and their Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum:

Thomas Cole - Aqueduct near Rome, 1832:


Frederic Edwin Church - Twilight: Mount Desert Island, Maine, 1865:


Filled up with gas, then 10 miles west to Chesterfield! I had a WONDERFUL evening with James, Caroline and Sarah!!! Thank you God for this lovely adventure "driving+art" day!

Music for today was albums from my purple nano:

James Taylor - Gorilla, 1975


lyrics to "Wandering":

I've been wandering early and late from New York City to the Golden Gate,
and it don't look like I'll ever stop my wandering.

The Kinks - Greatest Hits!, 1966


Van Morrison - Hard Nose The Highway, 1973


Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Hard Promises, 1981


Neil Young - Harvest, 1972


The Rolling Stones - Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass), 1966

"When I'm drivin' in my car ..."

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy, 1973

"Many times I've gazed along the open road."

Jamie Cullum - Interlude (pre-release), 1979


The Doors - L.A. Woman, 1971


Jackson Browne - Lawyers In Love, 1983


Dave Matthews Band - Live at Red Rocks 8.15.95, 1997


No comments:

Post a Comment