Saturday, August 12, 2017

August 2017 - Day 9 (day 1-of-3 Cirque of the Towers)

Saturday, August 12, 2017 - Day 1-of-3 hiking 3 days-2 nights Cirque of the Towers:



There are a number of reasons why I wanted to do this August 2017 trip - visit family and friends, 2 Counting Crows concerts, visit Art Museums, hike in Colorado - but maybe the main reason is to hike up in the Wind River Range in Wyoming. Both Albert Bierstadt and Alfred Jacob Miller have painted in that area, and I will share paintings from each for the 6 blogs I have about hiking in the Wind River Range. The first pair are:

Albert Bierstadt - "Sunset Light, Wind River Range of the Rocky Mountains", 1861 (New Bedford Free Public Library, New Bedford, MA):


Alfred Jacob Miller - "Rocky Mountain Scene, Wind River Mountains", 1853 (The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore, MD):


The Cirque-of-the-Towers hike:

Starting/Ending at the Big Sandy Trailhead (at the bottom of the map), I'm doing the pink "short-cut" line (which are still trails, so don't worry!), and "X" marks my two my camping spots.

The first day was 13.2 miles and took 6 hours:


But I am getting ahead of myself - I first had to drive to Big Sandy Trailhead. I know locals complain, but Wyoming really doesn't seem to be that crowded:


At the trailhead, the parking lot looked like Woodstock:

but I was able to pull in to a great spot just as a pickup was leaving!

Before I go further (or farther - ha ha, a "Further" versus "Farther" joke!), I want to give credit where credit is due, to an EXCELLENT blog entry on CleverHiker - Cirque of the Towers 3-Day Backpacking Loop - Wind River, WY. This was the blueprint for my adventure - thank you Dave Collins!

Starting around noon, the first section goes flat/uphill through forest:


When you come to a fork in the road, pick it up - no, no, take the left one:

I will come down the right one in 2 days.

I go past fields of wildflowers:

and views of mountains:


Not to mention - some wide-open spaces!




Fremont Trail going around Dad's Lake:


A young lady camping out at Marm's Lake:


Taking the eastbound Shadow Lake Trail up to Shadow Lake:


I am overcome with awe at the SOLITUDE of this hike. Although I have encountered a handful of people, 99% of the time I am alone in this wilderness - the only evidence of man is this narrow trail I am walking on. It's like we have been given permission to put-in this two-foot wide strip, but that's all - now have FUN!



My first view of Shadow Lake:


I had a nice quick chat with a young couple who had set up a tent at the Lake. I kept going, and found THE PERFECT PLACE:




A last view before settling in for the night:


Three days of food for Dennis Dixon:

Yum Yum!

Of course, Thank You God for this wonderful ADVENTURE day!

Music for today was albums from my purple nano:

various artists - The Preppy Album, 1970

The first song is "Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy" by The Tams - I feel Young, and I feel Happy, but I certainly hope that I am not being Foolish!

Led Zeppelin - Presence, 1976


Jackson Browne - The Pretender, 1976


Jamie Cullum - The Pursuit, 2009


Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet, 1958


and the album I played from my purple nano, using my little boom cube speaker, while I set up camp:

The Beatles - Rubber Soul, 1965


The acoustic guitars sounded perfect in this crisp and clean environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment