Sunday, August 6, 2017

August 2017 - Day 3 (to Oklahoma City, OK)

Sunday, August 6, 2017 - Chesterfield, Missouri to Oklahoma City, OK - 491 miles (7 hours 15 min):



I awoke to do my blog, and have breakfast with Uncle James, then it was off to church:

Last Thursday (3 days ago!), the speaker at our Thursday Morning Mens Breakfast in Boston was a "new guy" - Dr. Tom Pfitzenmaier. When I did his bio for the weekly email, I saw that he had been Pastor of the Bonhomme Presbyterian Church in CHESTERFIELD, MISSOURI - I said to him that I was going to be in Chesterfield on Saturday night! It turns out they have an 8:30am service, which fits into my travel plans PERFECTLY! Thank you God - I guess I know where I'm going for church on Sunday.

After church, it was 485 miles down the road to the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum - got there at 4:50pm - 10 minutes is Plenty Of Time!:



I had previously visited the Museum a few times, and mentioned in "this blog". At that time I saw the wonderful HUGE Albert Bierstadt - Emigrants Crossing the Plains, 1867. It is currently out on loan to the Denver Art Museum for their exhibition "The Western", but the Denver Art Museum "returned the favor" by loaning this museum some of their paintings by Worthington Whittredge, Sanford Robinson Gifford and Albert Bierstadt:

Albert Bierstadt - Wind River Country, 1860:

(where I'm going to be in a week!!)

After the museum, I filled up with gas and got to the Super 8 - showered and shined, and had a nice phone call with my Wonderful Wife! Then off to the concert:


I was nice and close:


The Crows were in fine form:


and Rob Thomas/Matchbox Twenty did a great set:


At 1:33 this afternoon, as I was having 1/2 of a chocolate-chip-cookie, I passed a road sign advertising a "Sweets Shop" up ahead:

"Road Trip Calories Don't Count"

Thank you God for this lovely adventure "driving+art+rock-and-roll" day!

Music for today was albums from my purple nano:

Bill Charlap - Live at the Village Vanguard, 2007


and then, because I had the windows rolled up, I listened to a "book-on-tape" (although now it is "book-on-cd") - Terry Tempest Williams The Hour of Land 1/9, 2016:

It is a collection of very nicely written stories of some of our National Parks - both personal stories, and historical/scientific background. I enjoyed it (well, at least the first-cd-of-9).

Grateful Dead - Live/Dead, 1969


David Gilmour - Live in GdaƄsk, 2008


after those two double-albums, it was time for some Neil Young

Neil Young - Neil Young (first album), 1969


Of course, the primary reason to listen to this album right now is the song "The Last Trip to Tulsa":

"Well, I was driving
down the freeway
When my car ran out of gas.
Pulled over to the station
But I was afraid to ask.
The servicemen were yellow
And the gasoline was green.
Although I knew I couldn't
I thought that I was gonna scream.
That was on my last trip to Tulsa
Just before the snow.
If you ever need a ride there,
Be sure to let me know."

Diana Krall - Live in Paris, 2002


No comments:

Post a Comment