Monday, August 7, 2017

August 2017 - Day 4 (back into Arkansas)

Monday, August 7, 2017 - Oklahoma City, OK to Arkansas - 404 miles altogether:



Left Oklahoma City at 7:30, heading east for Second Night Counting Crows! In far-eastern Oklahoma, I had not planned it, but when the Road Sign pops up, what are you going to do??:

It is a nice little area:

The Falls are nice, but they could be just a little bigger:


Shortly thereafter I crossed into Arkansas. Tonight's Super 8 is in Siloam Springs, right over the border. I was able to check-in at 11am, then bought some apples and a sandwich at Walmart ("Walmart Neighborhood Market" seems to be their new marketing thing - groceries and pharmacy). I then went 3 hours east into the Buffalo River area, with some great views:

But down a KILLER dirt road:

this is a close-up of the sign:

I HAVE NEVER HAD TO WAIT AND COOL MY BRAKES!

The parking area for Twin Falls:


Only a 1/4 mile trail, and I got to see - not a baptism - but the aftermath of a proposal (she said "YES"):



Back to the car, then up-and-out of the valley, and back west and up to the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art:

I had previously visited the Museum in October 2013, and mentioned in "this blog". In addition to Thomas Moran - Green River, Wyoming, 1878, today's favorites include:

William Keith - Sentinel Rock, Yosemite, 1872:


William Trost Richards - Landscape, ca. 1863-1864:


an early John Singer Sargent - Capri Girl on a Rooftop, 1878:

well, yes, of course it reminds me of my wonderful wife!

it was GREAT, GREAT, GREAT seeing Counting Crows two-nights-in-a-row!:


and, yes, Rob Thomas/Matchbox Twenty did another great set:


Got to bed at 12:30am - long, good day. Thank you God for this lovely adventure "driving+waterfalls+art+rock-and-roll" day!

Music for today was albums from my purple nano:

Kenny Chesney - Live: Live Those Songs Again, 2006


lyrics - "Never Gonna Feel Like That Again"

It's my life and it's sure fun.
Another season of my life's begun.
Another race I'm glad I get to run.
Another chapter of my life I'm writin'.
No I'm never gonna feel like this again.
Time's rushin' by me like the wind,
Got to grab each moment that I can,
'Cause I'm never gonna feel like this again.
No, I'm never gonna feel like this again.
Nooo...I'm never gonna feel like this again.

and then, because I had the windows rolled up, I listened to a "book-on-tape" (although now it is "book-on-cd") - Terry Tempest Williams The Hour of Land 2/9, 2016:

It is a collection of very nicely written stories of some of our National Parks - both personal stories, and historical/scientific background. I enjoyed it (well, at least the first-and-second-cds-of-9).

Jackson Browne - Lives in the Balance, 1986


Jackson Browne - Looking East, 1996

(because driving on 412E to see Arkansas waterfalls, I'm "Looking East").

Steely Dan - Marian Mcpartland's Piano Jazz, 2005


Field Report - Marigolden, 2014


lyrics - "Decision Day":

... As the memories flood the levy of my boredom.

The Maccabees - Marks to Prove It, 2015

This is "new music" for me, so I listened thru it twice.

Jamie Cullum - Meet the Robinsons, 2007 (two songs)


Joe Jackson - Mike's Murder, 1983


The Doors - Morrison Hotel, 1970


No comments:

Post a Comment