Wednesday, August 23, 2017

August 2017 - Day 20 (Ohio Art Museums)

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - Ohio Art Museums (Indiana to Pennsylvania) - 616 miles altogether:



We are on the western-end of the Time Zone, so it was strange seeing the sun just popping up over the horizon as I left Corydon, Indiana around 7 AM. The first stop today was the Doris Ulmann Galleries at Berea College, Berea, Kentucky. Unfortunately, their galleries were all closed for maintenance, so I was not able to see:
Thomas Moran - Cliff Dwellers, 1899 oil


As I was eating breakfast, it occurred to me that, going right through Cincinnati, there was a museum I had not visited: the Taft Museum of Art. Traffic was VERY BAD getting over the Ohio River (EVERYBODY is repairing their roads/infrastructure), so it was 12:30 before I got into the Taft. There are three excellent ART features of this former home of Anna and Charles Taft (older half-brother of William Howard Taft, US President 1909-1913):



- 1 - the house has its own private collection, including works by JMW Turner and Robert S. Duncanson,

- 2 - being a patron of Robert S. Duncanson, it houses his Landscape Murals - a suite of eight large landscape paintings in trompe l'oeil frames; and

- 3 - its "New Wing", which houses visiting art exhibitions.

JMW Turner - Europa and the Bull, about 1840-50 oil


JMW Turner - The Trout Stream, 1809 oil


Robert S. Duncanson - The Temple of the Sibyl, Tivoli, Italy, 1870 oil


views of the Murals:




The "New Wing" hosted Treasures of British Painting from The Berger Collection at the Denver Art Museum:


Although photographs were not allowed, everything is available on-line at the Denver Art Museum's website. Wonderful pieces include 3 by David Roberts (1796-1864):

St. Peter's, Looking Back on Rome, 1853 oil


Interior of the Cathedral, Pisa, 1859 oil


Egyptian Landscape with a Distant View of the Pyramids, 1862 oil


Pretty cool wearing my blue Superman hat as I'm driving into Cleveland (look up "Superman Cleveland")

Because of the traffic, I arrived at the NASA Glenn Visitor Center in Cleveland at 4:56

They close at 5, but I did get a sticker!

It was still a BEAUTIFUL afternoon in Cleveland

so I used my "Where's the Art?" app to access the Cleveland Museum of Art's webpage, and THEY ARE OPEN UNTIL 8 PM TONIGHT!!


I had previously visited the Cleveland Museum of Art in Sept 2013 and Oct 2015, and I LOVE their courtyard-between-buildings:




Winslow Homer - Early Morning After a Storm at Sea, 1900-1903 oil


Frederic Edwin Church - Storm in the Mountains, 1847 oil


Sanford R. Gifford - A Home in the Wilderness, 1866 oil


Claude Monet - Gardener's House at Antibes, 1888 oil


Vincent van Gogh - Poplars at Saint-Rémy, 1889 oil


My "museum visit" cost me the daylight, but it is ok driving the 97 miles in the twilight/dark to check-in at the Super 8 in Erie, Pennsylvania at 9:16 PM:


THANK YOU GOD for all the Beauty I was able to experience today!

I started today by listening to Terry Tempest Williams The Hour of Land 8/9, 2016:

It is a collection of very nicely written stories of some of our National Parks - both personal stories, and historical/scientific background. I like it. This section dealt with the Grand Canyon.

quote:

"Is it not enough to return home with a fresh idea gleaned while walking in new territory?"

Music for today was more albums from my purple nano:

Rihanna - Unapologetic, 2012 (I like only 3 songs)


U2 - Under a Blood Red Sky, 1983 live album

This is arguably the best live album ever made.

Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming, 1994


U2 - The Unforgettable Fire, 1984


lyrics - "A Sort of Homecoming":

For tonight at last I am coming home.
I am coming home.

(Well, not tonight, but certainly tomorrow night.)

The Byrds - Untitled, 1970 live album plus 2 studio cuts


Herbie Hancock - V.S.O.P.: The Quintet [Live], 1977 live album from 2 concerts


Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece, 1974


various artists (Thievery Corporation) - Versions, 2006


various artists - Verve Remixed, Vol. 3, 2005


No comments:

Post a Comment