Monday, August 21, 2017

August 2017 - Day 18 (Eclipse Day in Nebraska)

Monday, August 21, 2017 - Colorado to Iowa - 583 miles altogether:



Of course, today is Eclipse Day in the United States!:



I wanted to get-away-from-the-crowds for this one, so I figured Arnold, Nebraska is as desolate as I can get (except, of course, Jay Em, Wyoming, which is where Deede is watching the eclipse!).

Driving through Sterling, Colorado, I kind-of got a little lost, and found myself going up 138 instead of I-76.

Well, it is the same northeast direction, so let's see what happens.
There was unbelieveable INSANE, INTENSE fog, and I drove through Iliff, Colorado, which has a VERY INTERESTING sign: lliff - the sign-font Capital "I" is the same vertical line as their lower-case "l", and the i - f - f lined up very approriately.

I went about 7 miles farther, then saw a sign for 76. I figured I would cut my losses, and get on the "real highway". At 76, I stopped to pick up some trash - and a car pulled up and asked my if I knew where Iliff was?!?! (no cell coverage at all) Thank You God - Because of my "mistake", I was able to give them PERFECT DIRECTIONS!

After INSANE, INTENSE fog in Colorado, Nebraska looks pretty clear and uncrowded:


There was a nice little group of us where I finally stopped:


Nice normal Dennis before the eclipse:

um, the iPhone camera does not do a good job (or any kind of job) photographing the eclipse:

So here is what it looked like:

IT WAS SO COOL!!!! Dennis after the eclipse!


Going back down to 80 East, I stopped at one of the Original Pony Express Stations, in Gothenburg, Nebraska:


The Pony Express ran from April 1860 to October 1861, when it was put out of business by the telegraph. It was only in existence for 19 months, and yet it is such an iconic part of American History/American Culture.

And then, under the glorious skies of Nebraska:

I got stuck in a traffic jam on 80 East:

I've got GREAT music (Jet - "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?"), I've got air conditioning, and I've got a Monarch Butterfly flying in the median alongside my car at 3:55 PM. 57 miles to go to the Art Museum.

I got to the closed-at-5 Sheldon Museum of Art at 5:09:


Very cool sky:

on my way to check-in at the Super 8 in Percival, Iowa at 6:50 PM:

As I was driving to Nebraska City, Iowa I saw 3 separate rainstorms over on my left.

I watched "Alaska: The Last Frontier" on AnimalPlanet, then 2 episodes of "Star Trek: Voyager" on BBC America. Thank you God for this wonderful adventure day!

I started by listening to Terry Tempest Williams The Hour of Land 6/9, 2016:

It is a collection of very nicely written stories of some of our National Parks - both personal stories, and historical/scientific background. I like it (well, at least the first-through-sixth-cds-of-9). This section dealt with Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico.

Music for today was more albums from my purple nano:

various artists - Time-Life Classic Rock: Bubblegum, Garage and Pop Nuggets, 1991

actually, I only have "Mr. Dieingly Sad" by The Critters, "Sunshine Girl" by The Parade, and "I Live for the Sun" by The Sunrays. I really like "Sunshine Girl", which hit #20 on the charts in 1967, and I owned the single.

Chris Botti - To Love Again: The Duets, 2005

guest vocalists include Sting and Paula Cole

The Beach Boys Today!, 1965

I owned this album, back when I was 12! And it sounds GREAT loud.

the Pat Metheny Trio - Tokyo Day Trip, 2008 live album


Tom Rush - Tom Rush, 1970 follow-up to "The Circle Game"


lyrics - "These Days":

Well I've been out walking;
I don't do that much talking these days.

various artists - Too Marvelous - a Collection of Jazz Classics, 2001


various artists - Top Hits of the Sixties: Amazing Hits, 2003

It is GREAT listening to "Monday, Monday" on Monday!!

And how can ANYONE not LOVE "MacArthur Park" - written by Jimmy Webb, "sung" by Richard Harris - and clocking in at 7 minutes 26 seconds!!

Someone left the cake out in the rain.
I don't think that I can take it,
Cause it took so long to bake it,
And I'll never have that recipe again.
Oh, nooo!

various artists - Totally Hits, 1999


various artists - Totally Hits, Vol. 2, 2000


various artists - Totally Hits 2004, 2004


O Positive - Toyboat ToyBoat Toyboat, 1990


No comments:

Post a Comment