Thursday, October 6, 2016

Fall 2016 - Day 22: Hike to Mount of the Holy Cross in Colorado

Thursday, Oct 6, 2016 - I LOVE Thomas Moran's painting of the Mountain of the Holy Cross:

Mountain of the Holy Cross, 1875 Oil on canvas (Autry National Center, Los Angeles, CA):

Mountain of the Holy Cross, 1890 watercolor (National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC):

Mount of the Holy Cross, 1894 watercolor (Denver Art Museum, Denver, CO):


In 2013 I tried to hike-the-hike to see what Thomas Moran saw, but I started on the wrong (earlier) trailhead and wound up hiking the wrong, but still awesome/beautiful trail - Cross Creek #2006:

You can read about that day click-here-link-to-blog

This time I did my research and identified Notch Mountain Trail #2000:



73 total miles driving today to-and-from the trailhead.

It was a rude awakening to open the shades and see the Fit under snow:



It was a BEAUTIFUL drive up to the trailhead:







At the end of the parking area were three info kiosks, dealing with "Climbing Fourteeners", the "Holy Cross Wilderness", and "Camping in East Cross Creek" - they were very nice, but no relevance to me: I was neither "Climbing Fourteeners" nor "Camping in East Cross Creek", and the one dealing with the "Holy Cross Wilderness" was just generic "Occupancy and Use Regulations":


So I started up the trail at 12:30! Walking in the snow was a nice adventure, and I made good time (my first mile was 23 minutes, my second was 21:30), and the trail was beautiful:

Looking back down behind me:


After 2 miles, I got over a ridge and could see ahead of me:

with views across the valley:


I was now going down the back-side of a ridge, but didn't think too much of it until I started doing swithchbacks down through the forest. After going down about 1.75 miles from the ridge, I came across the first sign of the afternoon:


Because "East Cross Creek" did not seem familiar, I pulled out my map. Instead of going south down the black line, I had been going west on the light-gray dotted line (Half Moon Trail):

It was now apparent that I was not hiking "to view the Mount of the Holy Cross" = I was actually HIKING UP THE MOUNT OF THE HOLY CROSS! The Mount of the Holy Cross is one of Colorado's 14ers, with a summit at 14,005 feet - a little higher than the 4,000 footers I have done in New England! But it is a BEAUTIFUL DAY, and it is only 2:15, so let's keep going and see what happens.


The trail continued up through the forest::

until I broke out of the treeline a little after 3 PM:

(Not quite what the warm-weather picture on the internet looks like):


Across the valley, the views are magnificent! Looking west:

and looking north:


At 3:48 I reach the first BIG Cairn (12,005 feet), with the Mountain top WAY above me:

and maybe something big blowing in from the southwest:


I had had a full day, so I took some pics:


and headed back down the mountain.

Looking over at Notch Mountain. I should have been there, looking this way!


I hit East Cross Creek at 4:37:

and finally got back to the parking lot at 6:12


I found the correct trail down on the OTHER SIDE OF MY CAR:


Well, I will just have to come back AGAIN and do the REAL TRAIL next time!

In reviewing this blog, I never posted pictures of the Mount of the Holy Cross, so here are two - at 1:57 PM:

and at 4:52 PM


THAT WAS A GREAT WORKOUT!!:


The altitude made it feel like a 12-mile (or 14-mile) hike. I'm glad I went up as much of the mountain as I did, and I'm glad I turned around when I did.

Pizza and Thursday-Night-Football - what a great way to end a great day! Thank you God for these Fabulous Adventures!

Music today:

Morning drive up:
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma, 1969

This was a double-album, half live and half studio. The music is VERY SPACY, and seemed just perfect driving through the Colorado morning and the Colorado wilderness.

Evening drive back:
Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells A Story, 1971

Rod Stewart - Never A Dull Moment, 1972

With the hike DONE, I just wanted to rock out, with great songs, great lyrics, and great beats! Get back to civilization.

Temperature-wise, it was sort of 32º F all day.

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine (On Sept. 1, I joined Deede and Tad hiking Mt. Katahdin [Hunt Trail] - his final day on the AT!)
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment