Monday, October 10, 2016

Fall 2016 - Day 26: Columbus, IN - Ohio Waterfalls - Wheeling, WV

Monday, Oct 10, 2016 - Super 8, Columbus, IN - Ohio Waterfalls - Super 8 Wheeling, WV:

415 total miles driving today!

The rule of thumb is "Museums Are Closed On Mondays". While generally true, there are exceptions: The Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal lists, under their MUSEUM HOURS section:

Cincinnati Museum Center will be closed for 9 days from October 17 to 25 due to construction activity.

Cincinnati Museum Center is open daily except for Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

Regular hours:
Monday - Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sunday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.*:

Since I will be there on Monday, October 10, I look forward to seeing 2 paintings:

Robert Scott Duncanson - Cincinnati From Covington, Kentucky - 1850, 1850


William Sonntag - Ohio River Near Maysville, KY - 1850, 1850


No, I hadn't "called ahead" - it was pretty much "on my way" to see Ohio Waterfalls, so let's just do this. Unfortunately the guard at the parking area told me that everything was closed because of construction, and that they sometimes don't keep the website very up-to-date. Oh well - a good reason for a return visit ("Fall 2017" anyone??).

I bet you didn't know they had Waterfalls in Ohio!! Well, they DO! Given the time of year (early October is not prime-waterfall-watching season [arguably it is the worst time]), and the fact that it is Ohio, my expectations were not high. The falls at Ludlow Fals are under a highway bridge, but pretty:


Ohio farming seems to be alive-and-well:


There are 112 Ohio State Nature Preserves, from Acadia Cliffs to Zimmerman Prairie. Today I'm visiting Clifton Gorge:


They were rebuilding the bridge over the Little Miami River, so I got to see some he-manny-man work, with hard hats and everything!


Just upstream from the bridge work is the historic Clifton Mill:


And downstream from the bridge work is Clifton Gorge:




I then visited Indian Run Falls, northwest of Columbus:

nice rapids:

cascading waterfall:

and a free-standing waterfall:

As I said, October is probably not the best time of the year to see this stuff.

I then went 3 miles south to Hayden Falls Park, which is a lovely little area - Hayden Run is a brook that runs into the Scioto River:

a boardwalk runs through this wild, lush canyon:

Yes, the waterfall-and-pool are Pretty Cool:


The Scioto River is very pretty:


Driving in Ohio I saw an Ohio License plate with a Superman insignia!!

It turns out that in 2013 Ohio started offering these plates, honoring the Superman creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. "The new Ohio license plates bearing the insignia of Superman were unveiled Monday morning outside the modest house in Glenville (part of Cleveland, Ohio) where the Man of Steel was created more than 75 years ago."

It was getting dark when I reached West Virginia:


Tomorrow's going to be another big day, so pizza and football and bed. Thank You God for these Great Days!

Music today - more "2nd Albums":

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, 1963


Lyrics: "Bob Dylan's Dream" (a nice "geography song")
With hungry hearts through the heat and cold
We never thought we could ever get old
We thought we could sit forever in fun
But our chances really was a million to one.

Bonnie Raitt - Give It Up, 1972


Bruce Hornsby and the Range - Scenes from the Southside, 1988


Dave Matthews Band - Crash, 1996


Diana Krall - Only Trust Your Heart, 1995


Dido - Life For Rent, 2003


Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad, 1993

"Snowbound" is an Excellent Excellent song!

George Thorogood and the Destroyers - Move It On Over, 1978


Lyrics: "It Wasn't Me":
Wailin' down the freeway
adjust the cruisin' power
The state trooper clocked me at ninety miles an hour
It wasn't me
No no sheriff it wasn't me
Well you must have met some other body,
No, no it wasn't me

Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything?, 1972


Continuing to play "Check Off The License Plates". Today I saw: WV. This was the first West Virginia plate I saw, and it was less than 20 miles from the West Virginia State border. I guess they don't get out much.

This means I only need DE, HI, LA, MS and ND.

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine (On Sept. 1, I joined Deede and Tad hiking Mt. Katahdin [Hunt Trail] - his final day on the AT!)
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. OMG, Dennis! I saw 2 HI license plates the summer of 2016. One was in Beverly, MA, parked near CTR. The other was on RT 128. And they were on different cars. It was a once in a lifetime sighting and I would have let you known, if I only knew. Cynthia

    ReplyDelete