Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Fall 2016 - Day 28: Scranton, PA - Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA

Wednesday, Oct 12, 2016 - Day’s Inn, Scranton, PA - Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA:

332 total miles driving today! 9,016.4 miles total trip! (and 21 Museums!)

Scranton, Pennsylvania is down in a valley, and the morning sun does a great job lighting it up:


At a rest stop in New York State:


Welcome To Connecticut, and the colors start getting pretty:


Still in Connecticut, 5 miles southwest of the Massachusetts State Line is a beautiful pond:



And then onto the Mass Pike:


A quick stop at the Newton Free Library to rip some music - because I don't have enough music:


I got to Manchester-by-the-Sea a little after 3. It is a beautiful day, so I decided to treat the town like one of my "tourist towns" on this trip - where are the "Pretty Places"?

I started up at Chebacco Lake:



Beck Pond is just a little further up the road:


Back down Pine Street, and my favorite "Fall Tree" is right there on Bridge Street:


Out Beach Street for a view of the harbor:

and the view back towards town (with "plein air" artists hard at work):


Continuing down Beach Street to Singing Beach:




I then headed east out Summer Street, then down Ocean Street to White Beach:


And then around the corner to Black Beach, and a boat sailing into Kettle Cove (good luck with that!)


the marshes between Black Beach and White Beach


A final look from Black Beach out Kettle Cove:


Ah, Home Sweet Home:


WHAT A GREAT ADVENTURE!! Thank You God for these Great Days!

Music today - more "2nd Albums" (isn't this FUN!):

Bill Morrissey - North, 1991


Lyrics: "Fishing a Stream I Once Fished as a Kid"
The air is still the sun is low
Day is almost over now
I can see myself here years ago
And I dream I am nine again
When it seems like Summer never ends

Big Head Todd and the Monsters - Midnight Radio, 1990


Quite a contrast from Bill Morrissey to Big Head Todd. "Monument In Green" is one of the best songs I have ever heard. Turn it up and be swept away by the lyrics and the music.

Bananarama - Bananarama, 1984


Blood, Sweat & Tears - Blood, Sweat & Tears, 1968


Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - 4-Way Street, 1971


Frank Turner - Love Ire & Song, 2008


Thank you all for coming along on this great adventure! Quick note: I will be updating some past blogs, and the way blogspot works is that it re-publishes them; so you may be getting them in your email. Don't be concerned - I'm home for a while.

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine (On Sept. 1, I joined Deede and Tad hiking Mt. Katahdin [Hunt Trail] - his final day on the AT!)
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment