Sunday, October 25, 2015

Philadelphia - Two-Day Round Trip: Day Two

Saturday/Sunday, Oct 24/25, 2015 - Down to Philadelphia, and back:

Ok, so I threw a few extra stops in there - 782 actual miles; left at 6:30 AM Saturday, home at 4 PM Sunday.

Sunday Morning - up and on the road at 6:30 AM to get up to the New Britain Museum of American Art. Wendy and I had visited two years ago, but I wanted to see some "old friends":

Albert Bierstadt - Seal Rock, c. 1872-1887


Thomas Moran - The Wilds of Lake Superior, 1864


John Frederick Kensett - Rondout Creek, 1862


Jasper Francis Cropsey - Lake Wawayanda, Sussex County, New Jersey, 1870


Martin Johnson Heade - Ipswich Marshes, 1867


William Bradford - Fishing Fleet off Labrador, 1884


William Trost Richards - Sunset West Irish Coast, no date


and there were some "new friends":
Rockwell Kent - Toilers of the Sea (Toiling on the Sea), 1907


Frederic Edwin Church - Niagara Falls, 1857 Chromolithograph


Donald Demers - On the Morning Tide, Somes Sound, Maine, 2005


Francis Coates Jones - Annisquam, late 1880s


Andrew Wyeth - McVey's Barn, 1948

detail:


I then went up the road to Hartford, for the Butler-McCook Homestead, which has a painting by Albert Bierstadt:

Scene near Olevano, Italy, 1860


Ran some errands on my way home - Thank You God for a great adventure!

and once I got home, I dashed down to Dana Beach to take a picture:


It is pretty cool to see that not much has changed since Fitz Henry Lane painted Dana Beach, Manchester 155 years ago (1860!) [down in the Philadelphia Museum of Art]

(well, he has Sunrise, and I have Sunset).

Music for these 2 days was albums from my iPod - Day Two:

Ghost Writer by Garland Jeffreys, 1977


Giant Step by Taj Mahal, 1969


"Six Days on the Road" lyrics:
Well my rig's a little low, but that don't mean she's slow
Got the stacks blowin' fire and the smoke's blowing black as coal
My hometown's coming in sight
If you think I'm happy, you're right
Six days on the road and now I'm gonna make it home tonight

and then it was pretty cool that, as I was going past Giants Stadium - Bruce live:
Giants Stadium - July 27, 2008 Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band


"No Surrender" lyrics:
We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school
...
I'm ready to grow young again
...
I want to sleep beneath peaceful skies in my lover's bed
with a wide open country in my eyes
and these romantic dreams in my head

Girl At Her Volcano by Rickie Lee Jones, 1983


Give It Up by Bonnie Raitt, 1972

Once upon a time, at Penn, I went to a concert at Irvine Auditorium - Little Feat opened for Bonnie Raitt. Solo, on acoustic guitar, she asked for requests, so I called out "Been too long". She smiled and rolled right into "Too Long At The Fair". Very sweet song.

Go-Go Boots by Drive-By Truckers, 2011


Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire (I have done 41-of-48 thru October 2015)
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment