Friday, October 9, 2015

Fall 2015 - Day 34: Days Inn, Holland, MI - Muskegon Museum of Art - Kalamazoo Valley Museum - Kalamazoo Institute of Arts - Univ. of Michigan Museum of Art - Super 8, Belleville, MI

Friday, Oct 9, 2015 - Starting from Holland, MI, north to the Muskegon Museum of Art, then south to the Kalamazoo Valley Museum, then just down the street to the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, then east to the Univ. of Michigan Museum of Art, then east to the Super 8, Belleville, MI:

287 actual miles; 4 hours 47 min

Sometimes it gets really confusing - this is the intersection of two streets in Holland, Michigan:


I crewed for Platt Johnson in his 110, and we won the Nationals both in 1973 (Bay City, Michigan) and in 1977 (Holland, Michigan!) The Yacht Club (technically the Macatawa Bay Yacht Club) continues to support the 110 Fleet, and hosted this year's 2015 Nationals. Since it was 5.5 miles down the road from my Days Inn, I started the day going over there:

That's where we launched all those many years ago.

Then back down to the highway, and one hour north to the Muskegon Museum of Art. Muskegon is a sleepy-little-town, and hard-to-get-to, but has a good little collection:

Albrecht Durer - The Nativity in the Stable, 1504 engraving


William Louis Sonntag - Mountain Landscape, 1854


Tunis Ponsen - Yacht Club Pier, 1931

Looks very familiar from my days in Edgartown.

After Muskegon, I went east-then-south to Kalamazoo. Since East/West Interstates are (generally) even-numbered 2-digits, and go from 8 down south (which goes from Casa Grande, Arizona to San Diego, California), I was feeling "pretty North" driving on I-96!

but not as far North, of course, as driving the Trans-Canada Highway!

The Kalamazoo Valley Museum is more of a Community Activity Museum (as opposed to an Art Museum), so the paintings I was interested in were only viewable on a computer screen:


Across town is the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, the "Art Museum". Highlights include:

Andrew Wyeth - Back Apartment, 1961 (behind glass):


Jasper Francis Cropsey - Autumn Sunset at Greenwood Lake, New York, 1876:


Robert Sheldon Duncanson - Heart of the Andes, 1871


And then I got to head east for my PRIVATE APPOINTMENT at the Univ. of Michigan Museum of Art!!!

When I had emailed them last month about artwork "On Display", I received a very nice response saying that I could have an appointment to see the desired works in their "Paper Study Room" - soooo cooool!!

Highlights were William Trost Richards - A Squall, 1893


Thomas Moran - Passaic Meadows, c. 1878-1879 etching


Paintings on display in the museum include
William Hart - The Adirondacks, c. 1848


John Frederick Kensett - Sunset Near Darien, c. 1872


detail from Louis Comfort Tiffany - Pair of windows, c. 1905-1910


It was Homecoming at Michigan, so I was glad to get out of Ann Arbor - 20 miles east is the Super 8, Belleville, Michigan. With an early check-in, I was able to organize my evening - dinner and a movie! For those of you who think that all I eat (on the road) is Waffles in the morning and Pizza at night, I went out-to-dinner:


and got some "real food":


And then I saw the 7:15 show of a "real movie":


To top it off, the Post Office was next door to the Super 8, so I walked over and mailed my postcard. Wow, what a Great Day - Thank You God!

Ha Ha - I've got a slogan:
S PER 8 - All that's missing is "U"

I saw a billboard:
"Take AMTRAK and Enjoy the Journey"
Hey, I'm drivin', and I'm having a GREAT TIME!!

Music today - just albums (Soundtracks):

A Chorus Line, 1975


Clueless, 1995

Counting Crows doing a SUPER acoustic version of "The Ghost In You"

World Party doing a nice version of "All the Young Dudes"

Jill Sobule doing "Supermodel" - and I thought that The Waitresses back in the 1970's were the last ones to do "pout rock".

Cocktail, 1988


Bobby McFerrin does "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
It was the summer after Deede was born, and I remember the kids at the Chappaquiddick Beach Club made t-shirts saying "Don't Worry, Be Chappy"!

I was in Indiana yesterday, so it is good to hear John Mellencamp doing "Rave On"

Dirty Dancing, 1987


Easy Rider, 1969


"Born To Be Wild" by Steppenwolf lyrics:
Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Lookin' for adventure
And whatever comes our way

Grey's Anatomy: Original Soundtrack, Vol. 2, 2006


House M.D., 2007


1 comment: