Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Fall 2015 - Day 32: Super 8 (St. Cloud, Minnesota) - Minneapolis Institute of Arts - Minnesota Marine Art Museum - Chazen Museum of Art - friend in Madison, WI

Wednesday, Oct 7, 2015 - Starting from the Super 8 in St. Cloud, Minnesota, southeast to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, then southeast to the Minnesota Marine Art Museum (Winona, MN), then southeast to the Chazen Museum of Art (University of Wisconsin, Madison, MN). I spent the night with a friend in Madison:

381 actual miles; 6 1/2 hours driving

This is an Minnesota composition I call "Grainstacks, Early Morning", 2015


And this is the piece at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, by Claude Monet, that he called "Grainstack, Sun in the Mist", 1891:


Before we go any further, I have to post the link to my blog from last year (Oct 21), when I also hit the Minneapolis Institute of Arts and the Minnesota Marine Art Museum:
click here

I think this time around I will select 2 Hudson River School pieces:
Homer Dodge Martin - Hudson River Landscape, c. 1860-1865

(I have cropped out the frame, because it is too distracting.)

Jasper Francis Cropsey - Catskill Mountain House, 1855


and 2 pieces by Renoir - I love his colors in these!
The Piazza San Marco, Venice, 1881


Tamaris, France, c. 1885


plus one Canaletto - Grand Canal from Palazzo Flangini to Palazzo Bembo, c. 1740:


The drive to the Minnesota Marine Art Museum in Winoa, MN goes alongside a beautiful stretch of the Mississippi River:


A "no photos" policy prevents me from taking pictures ... but I was able to BUY POSTCARDS! (so here are "images from the postcards"):
J.M.W. Turner - Heidelberg with a Rainbow, c. 1841 watercolor


William Trost Richards - Conanicut Island, Rhode Island, 1855


Albert Bierstadt - Sunrise


A very nice article discusses the museum, its founders, and a recent acquisition click here

I was going to post that at 2:30 it was 65º and the leaves were "just starting to turn".

But then I went a few more miles down the road and saw this explosion of color!


Sorry, I did not turn off for the Wisconsin Dells:


The Chazen Museum of Art at the University of Wisconsin is the best (at least certainly "one of the best") college art museum. It has the space to show their Permanent Collection, which include:

Zhang Hong - a leaf from Album of Landscapes after Earlier Masters, 1636, ink and color on silk


Naum Gabo - Linear Construction in Space Number 2, 1961


William Louis Sonntag - Landscape, after 1857


Edmund Friedrich Kanoldt - The Greek Coast, n.d.


Imagine my surprise when Hugh just walked around a corner at the museum, and then guided me through the rest! He then gave me a Grande Tour - the campus is right on Lake Mendota, with sailing and rowing:

and even (it looks like) fishing.

A quick pic of his puppies with Tech Dingies:


and then a Flash Tour of the Capitol Building - VERY Impressive:




We then went for a walk/hike in the Prairie:



Bedtime after brats on the grill - Thank you God for a great day!

Music today - just albums:

Minnesota-native Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde, 1966


Minneapolis born-and-based Prince - The Very Best of Prince, 2001


"Raspberry Beret" lyrics:

I put her on the back of my bike
And we went riding
Down by old man Johnson's farm



Minnesota-native Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks, 1975


various artists - Summer of Love


various artists - Loud, Fast & Out of Control (cd1)

early '50s rock 'n roll

various artists - A Lot Like Love, 2005 soundtrack


No comments:

Post a Comment