Thursday, September 22, 2016

Fall 2016 - Day 8: Maligne Lodge, Jasper - 2nd Geraldine Lake hike - Icefields Parkway - Super 8, Calgary

Thursday, Sept 22, 2016 - Breakfast with Platt and Nancy, hike up to the 2nd Geraldine Lake, drive down the Icefields Parkway to Calgary. 263 miles driving, and 7.15 miles hiking, today:


At last night's dinner, Platt asked me to tell him - Short Story: What have I been up to since we won the 110 Nationals in the Summer of 1977. SHORT STORY!?!? You know me - there are no "short stories", only "stories left out".

It was 32º F when I left the hotel at 9:15 AM, and 26º F when I parked at the trailhead at 10:12 AM. Um, it was a BEAUTIFUL morning on my drive 14 miles down 93A, then 4 miles up a dirt road to the trailhead:




I was the only car here, which means that I am the only person on this trail/in this Valley/at these Lakes!

The Excellent Topo Map at today's info kiosk:

(off-center because of glare)

The first mile is through rainforest-type woods:

very lush and damp.

And then you see the outflow from the 1st Geraldine Lake (also called Lower Geraldine Lake):


Looking south, up the lake, up the valley:

looking back down the lake:


I hiked up to the waterfalls above the 1st Lake:


I turned around for a final shot of 1st Geraldine Lake:


Um, yes, that is actually the "trail" that goes straight forward into the woods:

Just keep thinking: "Now, where would I put a trail?" I have pretty good instincts, so it usually works out.

The view up the right side of the valley is pretty stunning:


This yellow marker marks where to cross to the other side of the wash:


And a view of a waterfall far in the distance


It took a while, but it was great getting closer:




I had kind-of made a mistake by getting so close to the falls - I then had to scramble up an insane skree-filled chute:

This is definitely NOT Trail-Approved, but the VIEW is worth it:


After more hiking, you get to see 2nd Geraldine Lake:


I got down out of the trees, had gone 3-and-1/2 miles in 2-and-1/2 hours, so this was it for today:





Some pretty photos on the way back down:


a small pond between 1st and 2nd lakes:


After the hike, and the drive down the dirt road, I stopped by Athabasca Falls, which Wendy and I saw last year. Still very Beautiful, Powerful and Impressive!:




I then had fun stopping and seeing Sunwapta Falls

and the granite that gets carved away:


Oh - and after all that, I get to go back down THE ICEFIELDS PARKWAY!!:





Then finally down to Calgary, where I watched the Patriots WIN! Thank You God for these wonderful adventures!

Music today was from my big iPod, continuing in the W's:

various artists - Woodstock 2, 1971 2 albums (the other artists)


The Miles Davis Quintet - Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet, 1959


Bruce Springsteen - Working on a Dream, 2009


Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead, 1970


Greg Lake - Works, Volume 1 (cd 1), 1977
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Works, Volume 1 (cd 2), 1977


Jackson Browne - World in Motion, 1989


Still playing "Check Off The License Plates". Today I did not see any new ones.

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine (On Sept. 1, I joined Deede and Tad hiking Mt. Katahdin [Hunt Trail] - his final day on the AT!)
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment