Sunday, September 18, 2016

Fall 2016 - Day 4: Super 8 Thunder Bay Ontario - Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park - Super 8 Winnipeg

Sunday, Sept 18, 2016 - Writing blogs and directions, so late start: 10 AM. I write down my directions for two reasons: Often there is no cell-phone reception (and I cannot access the Internet/Google Maps here in Canada); plus it helps familiarize myself with the twists-and-turns of today's journey. Additionally, I discover NEW THINGS. I realized that on my way to Winnipeg today, I was going through Kakabeka Falls after my first half-hour driving. HEY, anyplace that has the word "FALLS" in its name should be worth a stop! It turns out that the Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park is right off the highway:

and is certainly worth a stop:



and looking downstream is a fabulous gorge, leading eventually to Lake Superior:

I'm glad I didn't just "drive on by"!

It turns out that there are a TON of Provincial Parks in Ontario:

so, unfortunately, I am going to be "just driving by them". It certainly inspires a return visit to see Rushing River, Blue Lake, and Sandbar Lake - and those are only the ones RIGHT ON 17 (the road I'm on right now!)

Although it appears calm and peaceful:

I understand that it can get DANGEROUS at night:

How come I don't see any "charging moose" signs down in Maine-New Hampshire-Vermont? Do we have "more friendly" moose? [mooses?, meese?, moosi? - actually the plural of a moose is also moose] [and a group of moose is called a "herd"].

On 17 you continue to drive by beautiful lakes and streams/rivers and meadows:



Once you hit the flatlands of Manitoba, it is the sky that becomes IMPRESSIVE:



And guess who had a fun dinner at an old favorite:


Note: It is nice seeing Canadian Geese actually up in Canada, where they belong.

The Super 8 Winnipeg West may actually be the nicest one I have ever stayed at - plates and silverware at breakfast, Hisense BIG SCREEN TV, bigger room, and a step-up in quality. Congrats to the owner/management!

Although I didn't go to church today, I did see many billboards proclaiming Jesus and God and The Bible - so maybe that counts. Thank You GOD for this wonderful Adventure! 464 miles today, 10 hours on the road.



Music today was from my big iPod, in the W's:

Maeve - Whatever Befall, 2007

Isn't it nice to listen to Courtney, Rachel and Rollyn!

Cream - Wheels of Fire, 1968 double album


Diana Krall - When I Look In Your Eyes, 1999


a special note to my wife: lyrics to "The Best Thing For You" (by Irving Berlin)
Everyday to myself I'd say point the way
What would it be?
I ask myself what's the best thing you
And myself and I seem to agree
That the best thing for you would be me

and the lyrics to "Let's Get Away From It All"
Let's take a boat to Bermuda
Let's take a plane to Saint Paul.
Let's take a kayak to Quincy or Nyack,
Let's get away from it all.

Let's take a trip in a trailer
No need to come back at all.
Let's take a powder to Boston for chowder,
Let's get away from it all.

We'll travel 'round from town to town,
We'll visit every state.
I'll repeat, "I love you sweet!"
In all the forty-eight.

Let's go again to Niagara
This time we'll look at the falls.
Let's leave our hut, dear,
Get out of our rut, dear,
Let's get away from it all.

Kenny Chesney - When The Sun Goes Down, 2004

a few songs on this album make me jump up in joy, and bring a tear to my eye.

Rockapella - Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?, 1992

I won't print all the lyrics to "Capital" and the title track - suffice to say, it is QUITE A GEOGRAPHY LESSON!!

And for those of you who are curious about spelling - "capitol" is a building: "State capitols are located in the capital cities of U.S. states, and the Capitol is located in the capital city of the U.S."

Otis Taylor - White African, 2001


Whitney Houston - Whitney - The Greatest Hits [Disc 2] Throw Down, 2000

MANY of these songs, with their GREAT BEAT, give me chills. Excellent driving down the road with this on kind-of-loud.

The Who - Who Are You, 1978


I have started playing "Check Off The License Plates". Today I saw: Manitoba and Nova Scotia.

Temperature-wise, it was 80 degrees F at 6:11 in the evening! Maybe no snow for my hikes??

1 comment:

  1. I hiked, canoed, & climbed in Ontario's Killarney Provincial Park in '08! I bet it's on that map of yours. :) Keep enjoying the waterfalls, moose, music, and root beer as the adventure continues

    ReplyDelete