Monday, September 19, 2016

Fall 2016 - Day 5: Super 8 Winnipeg, Manitoba - Travelodge Brooks, Alberta

Monday, Sept 19, 2016 - Just a Beautiful Day driving 700 miles across the Canadian Prairie:


Sunshine, blue skies in Manitoba:

At a rest stop - this is the area for a couple of picnic tables. I can't imagine why the Question Mark - no maps, or information of any kind!

Maybe you are supposed to question why the question mark is there?

I bought a Tim Hortens coffee mug today:


11:15 Into Saskatchewan:

There is a whole lot of FLAT out here!:

and there is a BIG HEADWIND out here on the prairie.

The road goes on forever:


Wendy and Ellie called me somewhere between Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan and Medicine Hat, Alberta. Heading into Alberta, looking forward:

looking backward:


Checked into the Travelodge in Brooks, Alberta at 6:40 Mountain Time, after 712 miles and 11 hour 40 minutes on the road:

That's my room with the open door - it doesn't get any easier than this!

Thank You God for keeping me safe! And for the JOY of This Life!

MUSIC WAS VERY IMPORTANT TODAY!! Music today was from my big iPod, continuing in the W's:

Pete Townshend - Who Came First, 1972


The Who - The Who Live - Mansfield, MA - 9/27/2002, 2002 live 2 cds

Well, I was at this concert! Counting Crows opened up, and they were super- extremely tight. And Townshend and Daltrey and the rest of the band were excellent (their drummer is Zak Starkey - Ringo's son). Listening to it today, once the music starts, the chills begin for me - the performers are SO COMFORTABLE with the music.

Lyrics: I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated.

I remember seeing The Who for the first time - Tanglewood, July 7, 1970. It was pretty cool. To quote: "The final night of this tour culminated in this now legendary concert at Tanglewood, where the Who headlined a bill that also included San Francisco's It's A Beautiful Day and Jethro Tull."

It is a lot of fun driving through the Manitoba wheat fields, listening to Roger Daltry sing:
"Out there in the fields
I fought for my meals"

Cary Brothers - Who You Are, 2007


U2 - Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, 1992 4-song cd single


The Who - Who's Next, 1971, expanded 1995


Lyrics to "Going Mobile"
Out in the woods
Or in the city
It's all the same to me
When I'm drivin' free, the world's my home
When I'm mobile

Hee, hoo!
beep beep!

Play the tape machine
Make the toast and tea
When I'm mobile
Well I can lay in bed
With only highway ahead
When I'm mobile
Keep me movin'
Keep me movin'
Over 50
Keep me groovin'
Just a hippie gypsy

U2 - Wide Awake In America, 1985 four-song EP


lyrics: A Sort of Homecoming

And just when you thought that you haven't heard any country music in a while ...

Jason Aldean - Wide Open, 2009


lyrics: This I Gotta See
lyrics: On My Highway

The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt, 2010


Garland Jeffreys - Wild in the Streets: Best of 1977-1983


Paul McCartney and Wings - Wingspan: Hits & History, 2001 double album


Still playing "Check Off The License Plates". Today I saw: Saskatchewan.

Temperature-wise, it was 57º F at 8 AM, and peaked at 72º F at 3:21 in the afternoon.

I'm trying something new with my music - album covers! But Canadian internet is too slow. Just wait until I get back in the USA (hey, is that a song??)

No comments:

Post a Comment