Saturday, August 27, 2022

2022 Fall Trip - Day 3/42 - 8/27/2022

Saturday, August 27, 2022 - WOW - A National Park, The Art Institute of Chicago, and Counting Crows tonight!!!! Left the Super 8 in Plymouth, IN at 9 AM - Checked into the Super 8 in Peru, IL at 11:30 - 224 miles today:
I took almost 300 pictures today, so think of this blog as windsurfing along the tops of the waves.

After stopping at their Visitor Center, I entered the Indiana Dunes National Park at 10:50

It is GREAT seeing Lake Michigan, and families on the beach:
I went down and slpashed my head in the water - very nice!

From there I headed west, changing a Time Zone, and getting to my 11 AM SpotHero parking (2 blocks from the museum) at 11:15:
My iPhone seems to do something funny with building-perspectives - it looks like they really "angle in". I'll have to figure it out.

Well, THAT WAS FUN - 3.74 miles in 2-and-1/2 hours:

HA HA HA - Just Kidding!!! Of the 103 pieces of art I photographed, my highlights were:

Hubert Robert - "The Old Temple", 1787/88 oil:

Francesco Guardi - "The Grand Canal, Venice", about 1760 oil:

Claude Monet - "Rocks at Port-Goulphar, Belle-Île", 1886 oil:

Claude Monet - "Houses of Parliament, London", 1900-01 oil:

Auguste Rodin - "Adam", modeled 1881, cast about 1924 bronze:

Tiffany Studios - "The Hartwell Memorial Window", 1917 leaded glass:

Pablo Picasso - "The Old Guitarist", 1903-04 oil:

Marc Chagall - "America Windows", 1975-77 stained glass:

Martin Johnson Heade - "York Harbor, Coast of Maine", 1877 oil:

Frederic Edwin Church - "View of Cotopaxi", 1857 oil:

"Tomb Wall Fragment Depicting Abdu and Reputka with Offering Bearers", Old Kingdom, Dynasty 6 (about 2345-2181 BCE) Ancient Egyptian limestone:

Edward Hopper - "Nighthawks", 1942 oil:

Georgia O'Keeffe - "Cow's Skull with Calico Roses", 1931 oil:

J.M.W. Turner - "Fishing Boats with Hucksters Bargaining for Fish", 1837-38 oil:

One major reason I go to Art Museums is their AWESOME ARCHITURE and Display Spaces:

After Chicago, I headed an hour down the road to New Lenox, IL. Earlier this summer I discovered their "Triple Play Concert Series", in which you buy a ticket that gets you into their June Concert, their July Concert, and their August Concert - WHICH IS COUNTING CROWS (their last show in North America for the foreseeable future).
The only problem is that you have to purchase tickets IN PERSON, Monday-Friday at New Lenox Town Hall. Well, I wasn't going to make a "Special Trip" to New Lenox, IL this summer, so I "pencilled it in" for my Fall Trip. Earlier this week they announced that they wer not sold-out, and any remaining tickets could be purchased at the "Will Call" booth on the day of the show. I GOT MY TICKET AT 4:15

Very nice venue, with Standing/Dance room in front of the stage:

That's me waiting for the Crows to come on 15 minutes later:

Um, they were RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME:

I backed off for a farewell shot at the end:
WOW - so it all worked out ...

An hour drive west, where I checked in to the Super 8 Peru, IL at 11:30. THANK YOU GOD for this wonderful National Park-Art-Rock n Roll Day!!!

Music for today - Because I started in Indiana, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits:
"Mary Jane's Last Dance" lyrics:

She grew up in an Indiana town
Had a good lookin' mama who never was around
But she grew up tall and she grew up right
With them Indiana boys on an Indiana night

then because I was in Chicago - both Blues Brothers Albums: Briefcase Full Of Blues, 1979:

Blues Brothers 2000, 2000n movie soundtrack:

Amel Larrieux - Bravebird, 2004 second album:

Ancient Future - Asian Fusion:

The Decemberists - We All Raise Our Voices To The Air: Live Songs 04.11-08.11 (2 cds), released 2012:

No comments:

Post a Comment