Thursday, August 25, 2022

2022 Fall Trip - Day 1/42 - 8/25/2022

Thursday, August 25, 2022 - And away we go! I left Home at 5:55 AM, and checked into the Super 8 in Brookville, PA at 7:45 PM, with nice stops at The Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center (Vassar College) and a "Scenic Highways & Byways": George W. Perkins Memorial Drive, with Perkins Memorial Tower at its summit - 588 miles in 13 hours 50 minutes:

I picked up David in Danvers, and we went down the HOV lane on 93 South, and were in Boston AT 6:50! Well, we had to do some loop-de-loops in Boston, and didn't get to The Breakfast too early. At 9 AM I was back at my car, and headed west out The Mass Pike. Then all the way down I-84, then a short jog up to Vassar College at 12:20
They have a lovely collection of small paintings by Hudson River School artists. Highlights include:

Frederic Edwin Church - "Autumn in North America", ca. 1856 oil:

George Inness - "Evening in the Meadows", ca. 1853 oil:

Jasper Cropsey - "Evening at Paestum", 1856 oil:

Sanford Robinson Gifford - "The Roman Campagna", 1859 oil:

And then time for their "other art":

Anders Lunde (Danish) - "Marina Piccola, Capri", 1847 oil:

Thorald Laessoe (Danish) - "View of the baths of Caracalla, Rome", 1852 oil:

Jackson Pollock - "Number 10, 1950", 1950 oil:
I like Jackson Pollock's "drip paintings", but I don't like the dark background. I would enjoy it more with a white background.

and then my favorite piece of "junk sculpture": Frank Stella - "Etang d'ambach,", 1992 stainless steel:

I bought a sub and ate it in air-conditioning - it is hot out there:

I crossed over The Hudson River:
to get to Perkins Memorial Drive/Perkins Memorial Tower/Bear Mountain Bridge scenic lookout:
(I'm trying to include a lot of the roads in my new favorite book:)

Very pretty drive:

and EXCELLENT VIEWS:

5-and-1/2-hours later I checked into the Super 8 in Brookville, PA - Thank you God for this wonderful Adventure Day! Good to get back out on The Road.

Music for today - Last week I had ripped (just for the heck of it) a 10-cd set: Woodstock - Back to the Garden - 50th Anniversary Collection (2019):

I got through the first 7 cds, plus a little of #8. A LOT OF JUNK, but a few gems: Ravi Shankar, John Sebastian, the Dead, CCR. And it turns out that today's route runs only 30 miles south of Bethel, NY, where they played 53 years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment