Thursday, May 30, 2019

Museums: McMullen, Davis & Fruitlands

Thursday, May 30, 2019: I've got the day to myself, so after hitting the Boston Public Library, I'll be heading west and hitting 3 Art Museums::


The Boston Public Library and the Old South Church sure do take a nice picture:

I want to look through the Library's copy of "Two Views of Italy: Master Prints by Canaletto and Piranesi" [published by the Hood Museum of Art, Dartmouth College]:

2 lovely illustrations are:
"Imaginary View of Venice", 1741 etching:

"The Portico with the Lantern":

It is a lovely booklet - maybe I can pick up a copy on eBay.

I then headed west out Route 9 to Boston College, and its McMullen Museum of Art::


Hiram Dwight Torrey - "Sunrise Among the Mountains", c. 1856 oil


Philip Leslie Hale - "In the Garden", n.d. oil:


Another 10 miles west on Route 9 takes me to Wellesley College's Davis Museum:

Wendy and I had visited here back in November 2016, and they have a wonderful collection!

Today's highlights include:
William Trost Richards - "Seascape", 1870 oil


John Frederick Kensett - "Mount Washington from the Valley of Conway", 1851 oil:


And then I headed down the road for an afternoon visit at the Fruitlands Museum (Harvard, Mass.) [I last visited here May 19, 2018]:

They still have the "salon style" going on, which is Very Impressive, but a bit like drinking out of a fire hose:


Albert Bierstadt - "Mount Ascutney from Claremont, New Hampshire", 1862 oil:


William Louis Sonntag - "Mountain Scene with Stream", 1881 oil:


And from there I headed home! Thank you God for these wonderful adventures!

When I'm on my own, maybe I don't always eat very well, but at least I have A LOT OF FUN:


No comments:

Post a Comment