Friday, May 10, 2019

Reynolda (NC) & Chrysler (VA) Art Museums, Day 2/3

Friday, May 10, 2019 - Wendy has a 3-day Clergy Conference (Thursday-Friday-Saturday), so I'm HITTING THE ROAD:

I hope to see 6 art museums, have lunch with my Best Man in Raleigh, North Carolina, and cover over 1700 miles - "Road Trip" indeed!

This is Day 2 - Today I logged 583 miles:

Left Raleigh at 7 AM, and checked into the Super 8 in Harrington, Delaware 14 hours later.

It was 2 hours 15 minutes to get down to Reynolda House Museum of American Art. The last time I was here was March 2015 - they have a superb Art Collection, but unfortunately a "No Photos" policy.


This time they also had an Exhibition:


I do like Edward Hopper, and there are 2 pieces. "The Camel's Hump", 1931 oil:

and "House at Eastham", 1932 watercolor:


For the "Pollock" part, they had a piece that I was not aware of: "No. 20, 1948", 1948 oil:

I really like Jackson Pollock's drip paintings!

The highlights of the House Collection (on-line images) are:

Albert Bierstadt - "Sierra Nevada", 1871-1873:


Frederic Edwin Church - "The Andes of Ecuador", 1855


(They did have a Nice Pool):


An hour 45 minutes down to Donn in Raleigh, and a nice lunch out. It was good to see him, now that he has forsaken New England for the Deep South!

Although it was supposed to take 3 hours to get over to Norfolk, Virginia, it was a Friday afternoon in May. So it wound up taking 3 hours 30 minutes, and I reached the Chrysler Museum of Art at 4:40 - 20 minutes is plenty of time!


In addition to their wonderful collection (this is my 3rd visit), they were hosting an Exhibition: "Watercolor: An American Medium". Highlights included:

Thomas Moran - "Shoshone Falls, Snake River, Idaho", ca. 1875 watercolor


In 1876 Boston's Louis Prang and Company published the long-titled "The Yellowstone National Park and The Mountain Regions of Portions of Idaho, Nevada, Colorado and Utah", which included chromolithographs of 15 of Thomas Moran's watercolors. This watercolor was the basis for Plate 13 ("Great Falls of Snake River, Idaho"):

It was wonderful to see the original watercolor!

Andrew Wyeth - "Corn and Grist" 1976 watercolor (private collection)


Other highlights in their Permanent Collection:

William Trost Richards - "Forest Scene", 1875 oil


Thomas Moran - "Salvator Rosa Sketching the Banditti", 1860 oil


William Stanley Haseltine - "View of Taormina", 1871 oil


Claude Monet - "View of Vernon", 1886 oil


I got kicked out at 5 PM. Headed through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel:



With dinner on the road, it took me 4 hours to get up to the Super 8 in Harrington, Delaware:


Thank you God for this beautiful art and these Wonderful Adventures!

I'm listening to Ellie Dixon's cds! Driving Music today was:

Jessica Simpson - do you know, 2008


Taylor Swift - Reputation, 2017


Cam - Untamed, 2015


Kelsea Ballerini - Unapologetically, 2017


The Civil Wars - The Civil Wars, 2013


Maren Morris - Hero, 2016


Matt Nathanson - Show Me Your Fangs, 2015


Tumbledown House - Tumbledown House, 2009


Little Big Town - The Breaker, 2017


Carly Pearce - Every Little Thing, 2017 (1st album)


Danielle Bradbery - Danielle Bradbery - 1st album, 2013 (1st album)


and then albums from my gold nano:

Mott the Hoople - All The Young Dudes, 1972


I don't know why it took me 47 years to get the real lyrics to "All The Young Dudes":

"Why do I need TV when I've got T. Rex?"

That is basically my life.

The Best of Jethro Tull (2 cds), 1993


John Gorka - Between Five and Seven, 1996


No comments:

Post a Comment