Saturday, May 25, 2019

Middlebury College Museum of Art & Hood Museum (Dartmouth College)

Saturday, May 25, 2019 - Wendy has a conference out in Marlborough (also known as Marlboro - don't ask), so I decided to START MY HIKING FOR 2019. Over the past 2 days I hiked 6 mountains over in the Adirondacks - yesterday was a BIG DAY (see dixonheadingnorth), and "they" closed the road to the trailhead for today's mountain, so I'm just coming home.

Well, anytime I get to drive 255 miles/5 hours, I'm sure I can fit in a museum-or-two:


Beautiful farmland in Eastern New York State:

Does it look flat - or is it just me, after two days of hiking in the Adirondacks?

I got to Middlebury College Museum of Art at 12:05 (it opens at noon):

Frederic Edwin Church - "Otter Creek, Middlebury, Vermont", 1854 oil:

and a section of Li Xubai - "Mountain Home with Pine and Chrysanthemum", summer 2006


Lunch at an old favorite:


Another 2 hours down the road, and I was at Dartmouth College's Hood Museum of Art:

I had visited here once before, but they have undergone a large expansions, and display much more of their wonderful art!

A wonderful display of their collection of 6 Assyrian Relief Panels:

They had copies of a booklet that they had published:

and when I asked how I could get a copy, they JUST GAVE ME ONE! Thank You!


Regis Francois Gignoux - "New Hampshire (White Mountain Landscape)", about 1864 oil


Thomas Hill - "Mountain Landscape", late 19th century oil:


Winslow Homer - "Enchanted", 1874 oil:


And from there I headed home! Thank you God for these wonderful adventures!

Today, for my listening pleasure, I am listening to one of my mp3 cds that I burned back in February 2000:

Lou Rawls - The Essential


Neil Young - Unplugged, 1993


various artists - Toga Rock, 1990


Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love, 1987


Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything?, 1972 double album


America - History: America's Greatest Hits, 1975


No comments:

Post a Comment