Saturday, May 11, 2019

Reynolda (NC) & Chrysler (VA) Art Museums, Day 3/3

Saturday, May 11, 2019 - Wendy has a 3-day Clergy Conference (Thursday-Friday-Saturday), so I'm HITTING THE ROAD:

I hope to see 6 art museums, have lunch with my Best Man in Raleigh, North Carolina, and cover over 1700 miles - "Road Trip" indeed!

This is Day 3 - Today I logged 453 miles:

What could go wrong.

Because the Delaware Art Museum opens at 10 AM, I left the Super 8 at 8:30. At 9:30 I crossed the bridge over Back Creek:

Pretty Cool Bridge!

The Delaware Art Museum is a very nice place. I had been here once before - March 12, 2015 blog - and it is nice to be back:



Howard Pyle - "Another rush of breakers pitched the boat, corklike into the air", 1900 oil


Thomas Doughty - "Landscape", 1829 oil


I was a little behind-time, so when I reached the Newark Museum, and it was closed-for-a-private-function, I was a little relived:

That gave me plenty of time to stand in stop-and-go traffic on the George Washington Bridge:


I reached the Hudson River Museum in Yonkers, New York at 2:30:

Wendy and I had visited here once before - May 2, 2014 blog.

I did a little research ahead of time, and discovered they have an Exhibition - The Color of the Moon: Lunar Painting in American Art - and it is CLOSING TOMORROW!

The next stop for the exhibition the James A. Michener Art Museum, Doylestown, Pennsylvania in the Summer of 2019.

There is a wonderful collection of "moon based" paintings, including:

Thomas Cole - "Landscape (Moonlight)", ca. 1833-34 oil (The New-York Historical Society):


Jasper Francis Cropsey - "Mediterranean Sea Coast" 1855 oil (Newington-Cropsey Foundation):


Frederic Edwin Church - "Moonrise", 1865 oil (Olana State Historic Site):


Winslow Homer - "Moonlight", 1874 watercolor (The Arkell Museum at Canajoharie):


And to bring this into the 20th Century: Jamie Wyeth - "Apollo XI - To The Moon, July 16, 1969", 1969 watercolor (Adelson Galleries)


I then drove 4 hours to the City Winery in Boston, where I had a cheeseburger and heard Graham Parker (the cheeseburger was good, Graham Parker not so much). Home and in bed a little after 11 PM - 1,760.5 miles!! Thank you God for this beautiful art and these Wonderful Adventures!

More albums from my gold nano:

The Chainsmokers - Bouquet, 2015 EP


The National - Boxer, 2007


Marc Cohn - Burning the Daze, 1998


various artists - Casey Kasem - 1960's The Folk Years


various artists - Casey Kasem - The 70's Singer/Songwriters


The Persuasions - Chirpin', 1977


Christian Scott - Christian aTunde Adjuah, 2012 (2 cds)


cool Hendrix - mostly live stuff from original Hendrix in the West, 1972 live


various artists - Countdown To The New Year, 2010


Linda Ronstadt - Cry Like A Rainstorm, Howl Like The Wind, 1989


Ed Sheeran - Divide, 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment