Thursday, July 25, 2019

Long Island Art Museums: Day 1/2

Thursday, July 25, 2019 - Wendy and Ellie are going to a play down in Falmouth, so I'm going to head over to Long Island for an overnight. After my Thursday Men's Breakfast in Boston, I headed out the Mass Pike towards Worcester, then south on I-395:


I had made reservations on the 11:30 boat, but I got there at 10:40, and got on the 11 AM boat! It was a beautiful day for an ocean voyage (well, at least a "cross-sound" voyage):




Looking toward Orient Point, and the North Fork of Long Island:


I wanted to go along the North Shore of Long Island (Route 25A), and visit 3 museums: The Long Island Museum (Stoney Brook, NY), The Heckscher Museum of Art (Huntington, NY), and Nassau County Museum of Art (Roslyn, NY):


It was a nice day on 25A:


I was 2 days early for the "Gracefully Chic" exhibit, but was able to see a couple of Kensett's, and a drawing by Winslow Homer.



An hour down the road, and I had a much more successful visit at The Heckscher Museum of Art:

Although they have a wonderful collection of their own (Bierstadt, Church, Durand, Homer, Moran, Sonntag, plus more), the only thing on display was selections from the Bank of America Collection - I LOVE THIS TYPE OF EXHIBITION! Pieces from these Corporate Collections surface Very Rarely:


Childe Hassam - "Old House, East Hampton", 1917 oil


Sanford Robinson Gifford - "Mount Tacoma from Puget Sound (Mount Rainier)", 1877 oil


Albert Bierstadt - "At the Summit, Estes Park Colorado", 1870 oil


Thomas Moran - "View of Fairmount Waterworks, Philadelphia", c. 1860-70 oil


Samuel Colman - "Watering the Herd", 1869 oil


Guy Carleton Wiggins - "Trinity Church, Wall Street", c. 1938 oil

It reminds me of Childe Hassam's "Flag" paintings, which I think are wonderful.

30 minutes farther down the road is the Nassau County Museum of Art:




Lovely building - not-so-lovely art collection.

The only thing I liked - Doug Argue - "Dancing on the Beach", 2019 oil:


And from there I headed back east on Long Island, to the Rodeway Inn in Huntington Station, NY - Thank you God for these wonderful adventures! and, as I told Wendy on the phone, my "video needs" for this evening are all taken care of:

(after scoring 7 runs in the first inning, the Red Sox went on to win 19-3)

Today, for my listening pleasure, I am listening to one of my mp3 cds that I burned back in February 2000:

Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna, 1981 debut solo album


Bluegrass At Newport: Recorded Live At The Newport Folk Festivals 1959, 60 & 63


Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends, 1968


Steve Miller Band - Children of the Future, 1968 debut album


Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen, 1967 debut album

with "Master Song", "Winter Lady", and "The Stranger Song" (all included in Robert Altman's 1971 movie "McCabe & Mrs. Miller"), you are guaranteed to get chills

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - 4 Way Street, 1971 live double album


The Doobie Brothers - Livin' on the Fault Line, 1977


Peter Allen - It Is Time for Peter Allen, 1977 live double album


No comments:

Post a Comment