Saturday, November 8, 2014

Upper Midwest - Day Twenty-Two (Texarkana, AR - Little Rock, AR - St. Louis, MO)


On a quiet Saturday morning I visited the Arkansas Arts Center

They have an Asher B. Durand - "Landscape", 1855

and a Claude Monet - "Apple Trees near Vetheuil", 1878

(I guess maybe I am a little spoiled by seeing 51 of them in Houston!!)

In northwest Arkansas I saw Real Cotton Fields! I was struck by it - I imagine because it is such a powerful symbol of our country's history - Slavery, the Civil War, Race Relations, economics, reconciliation and reconstruction:

I had seen Winslow Homer's "The Cotton Pickers", 1876 at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art - the fields looked like that, and all of a sudden, 150 years ago seems like yesterday

except these days cotton is wrapped in yellow plastic


and then up to see Ellie!!


at 560 miles, it was more driving than I was expecting, but a great pizza dinner at Katy's solved that problem!

Music today:

I decided to listen to more "alphabetical music" [going through all the music on my iPod song-by-song, alphabetically]. Today I heard 106 songs, starting with:
"Frenchman For The Night" by Jimmy Buffett; album Fruitcakes
and ending with:
"Futures" by Burton, Corea, Metheny, Haynes, Holland; album Like Minds

and that finishes the F's!!

Highlights include:

a line from Jimmy Buffett's "Frenchman for the Night":
"blame it on the stroke of Monet"

I have some old music:
"Fresh Air" by Quicksilver Messenger Service (1970)
"Fresh Garbage" by Spirit (1968)

"Friday" by Joe Jackson (from the album "I'm The Man", 1979)
Ken Shelton was the midday DJ at WBCN in the 1980's; every Friday he would play that week's "Top 3 Local Songs" and that week's "Top Ten", and he would always sign off the week with "Friday" by Joe Jackson - it sounded great every time.

3 different versions of "Friend Of The Devil":
by Counting Crows; album Films About Ghosts
by the Grateful Dead; album American Beauty
by Ministry; album Bridge School Concerts Vol. 1

I lit out from Reno, I was trailed by twenty hounds
Didn't get to sleep last night 'till the morning came around.

"The Frozen Man" by James Taylor; album One Man Band

it's nice to have James to keep me company.

No comments:

Post a Comment