Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Upper Midwest - Day Twenty-Six (Amsterdam, NY - Canajoharie, NY - Albany, NY - Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA)


With a "small" day planned - 290 miles - I realized that I could backtrack 20 miles to the Arkell Museum in Canajoharie, NY. They have a beautiful Winslow Homer exhibit going on (from Sept. 2 throrough Jan. 4), as well as a George Inness exhibit with some of his early paintings (I like his early paintings before he started to "blur the lines").

Unfortunately, the Museum has a "no photography" policy. Having said that, they do have an image gallery. In their exhibition book Winslow Homer - The Nature and Rythm of Life - from the Arkell Museum at Canajoharie, this oil painting is called "Watching the Breakers-A High Sea", 1896:


From Canajohaire it is an easy 60-minute drive to the Albany Institute of History & Art (Albany, NY). They have a lovely collection of Hudson River School art, including the most paintings by Thomas Cole that I can recall (outside of his home/studio - the Thomas Cole National Historic Site in Catskill, NY):

Frederic Edwin Church
Thomas Cole (13)
Jasper Cropsey
Asher B. Durand
Sanford R. Gifford
James M. Hart
George Innses [1869]
John Kensett (2)
Homer Dodge Martin

Highlights include:

Thomas Cole - "Study for The Cross and the World - The Pilgrim of the World on his Journey", c. 1846-1847

Jasper Cropsey - "Dawn of Morning, Lake George", 1868

Frederic Edwin Church - "Twilight (Sunset)", 1856

Asher B. Durand - "Cathedral Ledge", 1855

John Kensett - "The Mountain Stream", c. 1845


and I was able to buy a fabulous poster:


The sky started to clear as I was on the Mass Pike:


and it was a beautiful day in Boston!


Big fog had set in up in Manchester:


but I was able to put my hand in the Atlantic Ocean at White Beach!

It's good to be home (how Deede got here ahead of me is beyond me - I was driving as fast as I could!)

Well well well - wasn't that (11,080 miles) a GREAT TRIP!!

Thank you God!!

Music today (I listened to albums):

America's top ten. 1960s, the folk years (20 songs; returning today to Beverly Farms library)


Pat Metheny Group - Travels (double live album)


Pat Metheny Group - Speaking of Now


and, in closing, I have to thank Super 8 for allowing me to get my fill of Nighttime Football:

Sat 10/18 college football
Sun 10/19 Denver Broncos 42, San Francisco 49ers 17
Mon 10/20 Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23
Thurs 10/23 Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21

Sat 10/25 college football
Sun 10/26 New Orleans Saints 44, Green Bay Packers 23
Mon 10/27 Washington Redsikins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT)
Thurs 10/30 New Orleans Saints 28, Carolina Panthers 10

Sat 11/1 college football
Sun 11/2 Pittsburgh Steelers 43, Baltimore Ravens 23
Mon 11/3 Indianapolis Colts 40, New York Giants 24
Thurs 11/6 Cleveland Browns 24, Cincinnati Bengals 3

Sat 11/8 college football
Sun 11/9 Green Bay Packers 55, Chicago Bears 14
Mon 11/10 Philadelphia Eagles 45, Carolina Panthers 21

I think I will only be watching the Patriots for the rest of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment