Sunday, November 9, 2014

Upper Midwest - Day Twenty-Three (St. Louis, MO - Indianapolis, IN - Springfield, OH - Columbus, OH - Mansfield, OH)

510 miles - 2 time zones - 4 states - 4 museums
LET'S ROCK!


I felt guilty about leaving Ellie before church, but I kind of went to church today:

And of course there was the Indianapolis Museum of Art:
Ludolf Backhuysen [Dutch, 1630-1708] - "Christ in the Storm on the Sea of Galilee", 1695

Follower of Jan van Scorel [Netherlandish, 1495-1562] - "The Baptism of Christ", about 1550



But I get ahead of myself - the first destination was the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art. They also have an extensive collection of Remington sculptures, as well as works by artists I like:
Albert Bierstadt (3)
Arturo Antonio Chavez
Maynard Dixon (no relation - ha, ha)
Thomas Hill (2)
Alfred Jacob Miller (3)
P.A. Nisbet
Worthington Whittredge

highlights were:
Alfred Jacob Miller - "Snake Indians", 1840

Santa Fe, New Mexico contemporary artist P.A. Nisbet - "Beneath the Blue Moon Bench", 2012

Wow - I think it is great!

And then to the Indianapolis Museum of Art

Bierstadt
Vradford
Bricher
Canaletto
Church
Cropsey
Duncanson
Durand
Hassam
Homer
Hopper
Monet (2)
JMW Turner (2)
Whittredge (3)

I have to go with the two JMW Turner paintings:

The Fifth Plague of Egypt, 1800

East Cowes Castle, the Seat of J. Nash, Esq., the Regatta Beating to Windward, 1828


The Springfield Museum of Art has a lovely room for displaying their Hudson River School paintings:


My favorite is by Asher B. Durand - "The Artist Sketching", c. 1850


The Columbus Museum of Art has two paintings:

Thomas Cole - "The Cascatelli, Tivoli, Looking Towards Rome", about 1832

Claude Monet - "The Seine at Port-Villez (A Gust of Wind)", 1883-1890


and then off to Mansfield, OH for a good night's sleep.

Music today:

I started the day with Ellie playing me "State Lines" from Matt Hires' 2009 album Take Us to the Start

Another night night night under glimmering lights
And the radio is all I can hear
We're gonna drive drive drive to a different town
While you're waving in the rear view mirror

I've gotta keep on moving
Keep on moving down this road
Whoa oh oh

'Cause we're crossing over state lines
And we're making up for lost time
Yeah it's feeling like a free-fall now
Nobody's gonna slow us down

Another call call call 'cross the country tonight
And your voice is like a song in my ears
So keep a light light light on and don't say goodnight
'Cause we'll be gone before the morning is here

We've gotta keep on moving
Keep on moving down this road
Whoa oh oh

I decided to listen to more "alphabetical music" [going through all the music on my iPod song-by-song, alphabetically]. Today I heard 106 songs - I'm finally in the G's - starting with:
"G.T.O." by Ronny & The Daytonas; album Hot Rods & Custom Classics
and ending with:
"Getaway" by Peter Finger; album Acoustic Guitar Highlights, Vol 1

Highlights include:

lyrics from "Gear Jammer" by George Thorogood & The Destroyers; album The Baddest Of George Thorogood & The Destroyers:

Running my rig around ninety-five,
Rockin' and rollin' in overdrive
My heart's beating like a jackhammer,
It's the midnight ride for the gear jammer
Nine long days through twenty-three states,
I gotta see my baby soon you know I just can't wait
The police catch me I'll end up in the slammer,
'Cause the law don't want no gear jammer

Great music .. great roads ... great country!

No comments:

Post a Comment