Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Upper Midwest - Day Twenty-Five (Hamburg, NY - Albright-Knox Art Gallery - Taughannock Falls State Park - Johnson Museum of Art - Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute - Amsterdam, NY)

290 miles today, with some twists and turns:


Well, we have learned to be flexible in life; plans change.

I had originally planned to hit 5 art museums stretching right along I-90 East (part of the New York State Thruway system):

Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Elmwood Ave, Buffalo, NY
Memorial Art Gallery, University Ave, Rochester, NY
Everson Museum of Art, Harrison Street, Syracuse, NY
Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute, Genesee St, Utica, NY
Arkell Museum, Erie Blvd, Canajoharie, NY

Unfortunately, both the Memorial Art Gallery in Rochester and the Everson Museum of Art in Syracuse are closed on Tuesdays (as well as Mondays). So I was able to loop-in the Johnson Museum of Art in Ithaca (after confirming that their Bierstadt and Bradford were on view) [and I dropped the Arkell because I just ran out of time/daylight].

The day started off very promising - the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo is a VERY IMPRESSIVE structure:


I do love the architecture! Unfortunately (for my taste), it is full of art that I do not like (Contemporary Art)[or should I say "Contempt-orary Art"][stop that, Dennis]. Of the six paintings I was interested in (by five artists), the Monet was on loan to San Diego, and three were in storage, leaving:

Albert Bierstadt - "The Marina Piccola, Capri", 1859

John Kensett - "Coast Scene", ca. 1860-1870

along with an early Picasso that I like - "Nude Figure", 1909-1910

There was a narrow window of time that I like Picasso's work - The Cubist Period (Cubism?), but more specifically 1909-1912. I like what he does with monochrome (varying tones of only one color).

I certainly have to credit wikiart.org with That Information!!

I was on my way down to Ithaca when I passed a sign: Taughannock Falls State Park - 1 mile
Hey, I can drive ONE MILE to see Falls in a State Park!
Vista Point was great:

but then I went down the road to the "real entrance" to get to the path to the falls. I did Map My Walk for this 2-mile round trip:

The views along the Creek were stunning



but the Pièce de résistance was the Falls themselves (?itself?):


and because it is Veterans Day (no school), there are families playing:


Cayuga Lake on a beautiful day in the middle of November


The Johnson Museum of Art is associated with Cornell University - everyone is hiking over all the terrain, they must be healthy! Their 19th century American Artists are displayed Salon-style:

not really how I would like to see them, in my home or in a museum.

Highlights include two from John Frederick Kensett:
"The Rocks at Newport, Rhode Island", 1862

"View of Triphammer Falls, Ithaca, NY", undated


and Albert Bierstadt - "Swiss Mountain Scene", 1859


It is a great collection, but it is very difficult to see and appreciate paintings that are 10 feet up off the ground.

And then off through the New York State countryside to get to the Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute in Utica at 4:40 (they close at 5 - hey, I can "do an art museum" in 20 minutes!). Starting with their Hudson River School artists:
Frederic Edwin Church - "Sunset", 1856

Martin Johnson Heade - "Scene on the Salt Meadow", 1866

and a wonderful oil by an artist I am not familiar with:
Francis A. Silva - "Sunrise: Marine View", 1870

and ending with a wonderful Jackson Pollock - "Number 2, 1949", 1949



wow - waterfalls and beautiful art - thank you God!

Music today:

Continuing to go through all the music on my iPod song-by-song, alphabetically. Today I heard 93 songs (no music when I'm hiking):
starting with:
"The Girl From New York City" by The Beach Boys; album Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)
and ending with:
"The Glen" by Bradley Joseph; album 20 Years of Narada Piano [Disc 2]

Highlights include:

all the songs that start with "Girl" or "Girlfriend"!

the three versions of "Glad":

by Traffic, album The Last Great Traffic Jam [Live]
by Traffic, album Smiling Phases (2 cds)
by Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, album Live From Madison Square Garden (2 cds)

No comments:

Post a Comment