Sunday, October 6, 2013

Day Twenty-Five: Springfield, OH - Trinity Episcopal Church, Columbus, OH - Columbus Museum of Art - Dayton Art Institute - Cincinnati Art Museum - Indianapolis Museum of Art - Springfield, OH



Why use one sign when two will do?


Very nice 8 AM service at Trinity Episcopal Church, Columbus, OH. I love their stained glass window


The Columbus Museum of Art has a very nice Henry Moore piece "Three Piece Reclining Figure: Draped, 1975"


Good thing, because the Bierstadt and 4 Monets that I wanted to see were all "not on display".

On the other hand, the Dayton Art Institute has a beautiful collection, and I spent more time there than I should have. Greeting you as you enter the museum is "Joy of the Waters" by Harriet Frishmuth - of course, she reminds me of my wife


There is a fun glass sculpture by Dale Chihuly, a painted bronze sculpture by Roy Lichtenstein (I have never seen another sculpture by him!), and a small landscape by JMW Turner, plus paintings by Cropsey, Haseltine, Bierstadt, and Andrew Wyeth, and a very nice painting by William Ritschel ("Monterey Coast", after 1911). The highlight, of course, is "Waterlilies", 1903, by Claude Monet


Going to the Cincinnati Art Museum, I realized that I was losing this "dancing the dance" game today. As it turns out, as I was driving through Cincinnati, the New England Patriots were in the stadium right next to the highway - and they were losing their game, also! Maybe Tom Brady and I have a lot more in common than I thought.

I rushed through the Cincinnati Art Museum and saw six painting that were great:

Albert Bierstadt, "Bridal Veil Falls, Yosemite Valley, California", ca. 1871-73


Frederic Edwin Church, "Falls of the Tequendama near Bogota, New Granada", 1854


a lovely landscape by Jervis McEntee, "Landscape", ca. 1860s-70s


a coastal landscape (pretty unique) by Thomas Cole, "View Across Frenchman's Bay from Mt. Desert Island, After a Squall", 1845


Pablo Picasso, "Still Life with Glass and Lemon", 1911


Claude Monet, "Rocks at Belle-Ile, Port-Domois", 1886


I left Cincinnati quickly to get 2 hours up the road to Indianapolis. Traffic hassles through Indianapolis resulted in getting to the Indianapolis Museum of Art at 4:37 (closing at 5:00). They did let me in, and I "moved very quickly" through the museum to find the Turners! I saw a Bierstadt, a Cropsey, a Durand, a very nice Tiffany window, but the nicest painting was another whalers/icebergs by William Bradford - "Whaler and Fishing Vessels near the Coast of Labrador", about 1880


I was directed to the special JMW Turner exhibit - "Early Turner", which were some drawings. At 4:57 an information man said the Turner I was looking for ("The Fifth Plague of Egypt") is tucked away back on the Second Floor and, because the Museum is closing, I can see it next time. I said Thank You, but I thought "I'm on my way home to Massachusetts - It's Too Late To Stop Now (see Music below)".

I got burned today, trying to pack it all in. I feel badly about missing the Turner painting, and only in reviewing recent blogs do I realize that I missed the third-of-three "Waterlilies" by Claude Monet! I know I can't "eat everything at the buffet table", but I also feel that I enjoy myself most when I have not planned every step/every painting - leaving open space for surprises. Well, now there are some good reasons for coming back this way.

Apology: the Super 8 I stayed in over the weekend did not have any internet connection, so these postings have gotten postponed/bunched up

Sunday, Oct. 6
Super 8, Springfield, OH
3/4 hour -- Trinity Episcopal Church, Columbus, OH
Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, OH
1 1/4 hours -- Dayton Art Institute, Dayton, OH
1 hour -- Cincinnati Art Museum, Cincinnati, OH
2 hours -- Indianapolis Museum of Art, Indianapolis, IN
1 1/4 hours -- Super 8, 2 W Leffel Lane, Springfield, OH

here is today's playlist:

25 All-Time Greatest Summer Songs


18 New Wave Classics, Vol. 2


18 Modern Rock Classics from the 80's


Bad Company - 10 From 6 (greatest hits)


The Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock 'n Roll


(I was obviously looking for The Who - It's Hard, but it is not on this iPod)

Van Morrison - It's Too Late To Stop Now (live) (2 cds) [see Note above]


Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me (06-29-2013)


1 comment:

  1. When I saw that sculpture, I thought, "Oh you have to show that to Mom! She will love that!" : ) Love, Caroline

    ReplyDelete