Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Day Twenty-Eight: Allentown, PA - Thomas Cole Historic Site - Frederic Edwin Church home (Olana State Historic Site) - Manchester-by-the-Sea!!!



At the Thomas Cole Historic Site in Catskill, NY I saw a deer


and he even posed for a close shot


Thomas Cole's house is lovely, and on a clear sunny day the view is magnificent


but they do not allow any photography in the interior. So here is a screenshot of their website/Bierstadt exhibit (to which I GOT A PRIVATE SCREENING!!!)

In a single room there were 11 paintings by Albert Bierstadt, and 6 of them were from Private Collections. What a privilege it was to view them!

Across the Hudson River, "Olana" was built by Frederic Edwin Church on a hill with vast views. The house is "not my style"


but the views certainly are!!


The Olana State Historic Site has the same "no photographs inside" policy. I can only imagine that they are still figuring out how to handle/deal with digital images of art - maybe I can communicate to them what I have discovered - that the only way "to see" art is to go to the location and see it. Digital images can only encourage people to "make the journey" (that's what I did!)

After all my travels (as a friend said, it was great seeing the country but not having to do the driving), New England/Massachusetts is really quite beautiful


but I am not happy to see that "rush hour traffic" still happens:


I told Ellie I would be home around 7. I arrived at 7:02 PM, 400.0 miles today, 10,467 miles for the 28-day trip! Thanks for coming on this adventure with me.

Note: I will be posting videos to YouTube, and do another blog entry in a few days.

Wednesday, Oct. 9
Super 8, Allentown, PA
3 hours -- Catskill, NY (Thomas Cole/Albert Bierstadt!)
1/4 hour -- Olana, NY (Frederic Edwin Church!)
3 1/4 hours -- Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA

here is today's playlist:

Fr. Brian Barry - 10/6/2013 sermon "Bondservants of Christ"


The Decemberists - The King Is Dead


We Are Augistines - Rise Ye Sunken Ships [I saw them open for Counting Crows at South Shore Music Circus, summer 2012]


Counting Crows - This Desert Life


The Wallflowers - Bringing Down The Horse [I saw them open for Counting Crows at the Boston Pavilion, summer 2013]


Simon & Garfunkle - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme [needless to say, song on the album = "Homeward Bound"]


Coldplay - Parachutes

[the first song - Don't Panic - says
And we live in a beautiful world,
Yeah we do, yeah we do,
We live in a beautiful world.]

Scarlet Haven - Paleologes


David & David - Boomtown


Echo & The Bunnymen - Songs To Learn & Sing


Barry McGuire - "Eve of Destruction"
"You can leave here
for four days in space
but when you return
it's the same old place."

1 comment: