Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Fall 2018, Day 40 - explore Memphis, and drive across Tennessee

Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2018 - Explore Memphis (Graceland, Sun Studio, Memphis Brooks Museum of Art, Dixon Gallery & Gardens), and drive across Tennessee = 316 miles driving:



Graceland opened at 9, so I got up-and-out after an excellent breakfast!




Graceland was not a disappointment, primarily because I had such low expectations. Although there had been other "Superstars" before, Elvis was the first Rock 'n Roll Superstar - he came from poverty, and his heart and soul and energy propelled him to worldwide fame and riches. The house he bought ("Graceland") was a nice big-house-on-the-hill in the 1950s. He didn't have taste (it can be argued that there was no taste in the 1950s), and since it is "frozen in time", it all looks especially old and worn-out. (I think I'm doing a pretty good job not using the "t----" word).

As part of the tour, you are first shown a movie about his career(s) and life - the part dealing with his early rock 'n roll is GREAT! (He is REALLY INTO the music, and is REALLY EXCITED about it - which MAKES HIM EXCITING!) All the rest (Hollywood, Vegas), not so great. You are then given iPads and headphones, and John Stamos narrates the tour, starting on the bus going across the street to Graceland (the house):













Don't forget the airplanes:


I then headed back into Memphis, to Sun Studio. It can be argued that Sun Studio, run by Sam Phillips, is where white rock 'n roll was truly born - Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins:


Once inside the door, the place looked like a REALLY POPULAR coffee shop/diner:

They were sold-out for the 10:30 tour, but they had space at 11:30. I paused, but had to decline because "I'm on a schedule". So I just looked around:



I saw in the back was the "Sun Studio Record Shop", and the guy up front said I could go back there. It was the size of Deede's bedroom, and VERY COOL:




On my way out, I shook hands with the guy up front, and thanked him and said that he "had a National Treasure here." He smiled and said "Thanks man."

Then across Memphis to the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art:



Gaspar van Wittel - "Piazza del Popolo, Rome", ca. 1683:

Thomas Doughty - "Anthony's Nose, Lake George, New York", ca. 1837-1838

Winslow Homer - "Reading by the Brook", 1879


I then headed over to the Dixon Gallery and Gardens (gotta LOVE the Name!):




Although much of their gallery spaces are closed for new installations (and I did not call ahead - there is only so much planning-ahead that I can wrap my head around), they have a few very nice pieces available:

William Louis Sonntag - "Valley View", ca. 1860:

Alfred Thompson Bricher - "The Cliffs of Nahant", ca. 1885:

(It is pretty cool seeing this stuff 1200 miles away from our hometown area.)
William Keith - "Northern California Coast":

and then over in the "Main House":
Edgar Degas - "Ballet Scene", 1880:

The Gardens were very pretty:


And then it was time to head East. When I saw the sign on the highway, I decided to make a side-stop in Paris, Tennessee:

where I mailed Ellie's postcard.

Then, instead of heading back to I-40 East, I took US-79 North (which was a whole lot more "East" than "North"). It was a good way to see the country. It took me through farms and fields, small towns and big ones, over rivers and alongside reservoirs. And it certainly had Less Traffic than the Interstate:



I think these "Times of Isolation" are just about over.

And talk about Bending The Rules Of Space And Time:


I got into the MicroTel (part of the Super 8/Wyndham family) in Bowling Green, Kentucky a little before 7:


Thank you God for Art, and Rock 'n Roll, and for these Wonderful Adventures!

Blogging Music:

Traffic - Shootout at the Fantasy Factory, 1973


Driving Music:

Paul Simon - Graceland, 1986


lyrics "Graceland":

The Mississippi Delta was shining
Like a National guitar
I am following the river
Down the highway
Through the cradle of the civil war
I'm going to Graceland
Graceland
In Memphis, Tennessee
I'm going to Graceland
Poor boys and pilgrims with families
And we are going to Graceland
My traveling companion is nine years old
He is the child of my first marriage
But I've reason to believe
We both will be received
In Graceland

Elvis Presley - ELV1S: 30 No. 1 Hits, 2002


Jerry Lee Lewis - 18 Original Sun Greatest Hits, 1989


Steve Miller Band - Sailor, 1968 second album

I listened to this twice.

Spirit - The Family That Plays Together, 1968 second album


Captain Beefheart - The Dust Blows Forward, 1999 retrospective

Captain Beefheart was the most eccentric and erratic rock musician - EVER. GARBAGE is the word I would use to describe almost-all of his recorded output; having said that, there was a narrow slot in time when he made good music, and I really like these 5 songs: "Nowadays A Woman's Gotta Hit A Man", "Low Yo Yo Stuff", "Too Much Time", "My Head Is My Only House Unless It Rains", and "Clear Spot", all from his 1972 album "Clear Spot".

Rickie Lee Jones - Flying Cowboys, 1989


No comments:

Post a Comment