Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Fall 2018, Day 39 - Mississippi Museum, Tallahatchie Bridge, Memphis barbeque

Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018 - Lauren Rogers Museum of Art, Tallahatchie Bridge, Memphis barbeque = 344 miles driving:


Because my first stop (Lauren Rogers Museum of Art) did not open until 10 AM, and I was only 7 minutes away, I was able to spend the morning on blogging and directions. It was nice out today:


I was busy buying a postcard, so got to the Lauren Rogers Museum of Art at 10:30:


I had been here previously in September 2015, and they have such a nice collection (and it is right-on-the-way from New Orleans up to Memphis) that I wanted to do a return-visit.


You can see both the Moran and the Bierstadt in this picture.

Thomas Moran - "A Glimpse of Long Island Sound from Montauk", 1907:

My other photos didn't turn out, but the Museum also had a special exhibition: Leonardo da Vinci: Machines:



I then headed northwest into rural Mississippi - it was a day for seeing egrets and cottonfields:



This was Day 1 of a 2-day tour through the Roots of Rock 'n Roll. I was on my way through Greenwood, Mississippi to get to the Tallahatchie Bridge in Sidon, Mississippi, when I suddenly saw this plaque before the bridge going over the Yalobusha River:



It was still 9.1 miles from "the official/Google Maps version of the Tallahatchie Bridge":

10 minutes later I took a left at the 3 crosses:

and was at "the official/Google Maps version of the Tallahatchie Bridge":



lyrics from "Ode to Billie Joe", by Bobbie Gentry (#1 in 1967)

It was the third of June, another sleepy, dusty Delta day
I was out choppin' cotton, and my brother was balin' hay
And at dinner time we stopped and walked back to the house to eat
And mama hollered out the back door, "y'all, remember to wipe your feet!"
And then she said, "I got some news this mornin' from Choctaw Ridge
Today, Billie Joe MacAllister jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge"
...
And me - I spend a lot of time pickin' flowers up on Choctaw Ridge
And drop them into the muddy water off the Tallahatchie Bridge



"Research indicates" can be a dangerous phrase; having said that, research indicates that there is discussion about "the correct bridge" (one in Greenwood versus one in Sidon/Money). I think I picked the correct one. And I hate to say it, but I don't understand how Billie Joe could cause himself much damage by jumping off this bridge into "the muddy water" (unless he hit something underwater?).

Drove back to the Highway:

Yeah, I know - on yet another dirt road.

Up I-55 North:

and into Tennessee about 6 PM:


I was supposed to be and John and Dorsey's at 5, but I "got Trumped":


This was not the first time I had been "Trumped". I tried to visit The Kemper Art Museum at Washington University on Oct. 9, 2016, but everything was closed because of the Presidential Debate later that evening.

Today I eventually made it to their home, for an Excellent "Memphis Barbeque" dinner:


Thank you God for Family, Friends, and ALL THESE WONDERFUL ADVENTURES! (and for the Grace that allows us to get through Life's ups-and-downs in one piece, with our sense of humor intact)

Blogging Music (more Blues):

Ruthie Foster - The Truth According to Ruthie Foster, 2009


Otis Taylor - White African, 2001


Chris Whitley - Living With the Law, 1991 first album


Driving Music:

various artists - my mp3 player. I have an mp3 player (versus one of my nanos) which I have loaded with a ton of songs from the 80s and 90s. I put it on once in a while, and it SOUNDS GREAT!!! and lasts a long time.

Jethro Tull - Living in the Past, 1972 double album quasi-compilation collection


Linda Ronstadt - Living in the USA, 1978


Elton John - Madman Across the Water, 1971


Rickie Lee Jones - The Magazine, 1984


Of course, "Ode to Billie Joe", by Bobbie Gentry (#1 in 1967)

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour, 1967


Mott the Hoople - Mott the Hoople, 1969 first album


Michael McDonald - Motown, 2003


and then because I-55 North WAS CLOSED, I found local radio - 98.1 The Max (WXMX):

In addition to good rock 'n roll, they let me know about The President's visit, and they had a nice Tom Petty twofer every hour, to honor his passing a year ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment