Tuesday, July 19, 2016

The Kentucky Trip: Day Two

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - My first 2 museums of this trip!

The Eiteljorg Museum has a wonderful exhibit: The Grand Canyon (Thomas Moran paintings); and I have never visited The Speed Art Museum in Louisville, Kentucky (Cole, Panini, Piranesi, McEntee, Hubert Robert).

Left New Stanton a little before 7. Beautiful morning in the Great Midwest:


It took 5 1/2 hours to get to Indianapolis - I don't like going this long in the day without visiting a museum. Having said that, The Grand Canyon exhibition is wonderful!!
Thomas Moran - The Grand Canyon, 1917

This had not been on display when I visited in November 2014!

Thomas Moran - The Grand Canyon, 1911

This is from the Grand Canyon National Park Museum Collection, which is not in my app (which just sent me down another rabbit-hole for an hour or so).

William Henry Holmes - Panorama from Point Sublime, Part I (of 3), 1882, lithograph

To quote the info display card:
In 1880, Holmes accompanied Clarence Dutton on a geological exploration of the Grand Canyon. His panoramic views gave readers of the Dutton report a breathless view from the edge of the canyon. The images are among the most important topographical illustrations ever created. Holmes combined aesthetics and science to create precise views of the sublime West.

Don't forget a favorite from their permanent collection
Albert Bierstadt - Morning Thirst - Mount Hood, n.d.


Then two hours south to The Speed Art Museum in Louisville, Kentucky. Favorites include:
Hubert Robert - A Loggia Overlooking St. Peter's Square, Rome, 1760s:


Giovanni Paolo Panini - The Wedding at Cana, about 1725

I'm sorry, but I have been to Cana, in Galilee, and it does not look anything like this.

George Inness - The Close of the Day, 1863


Last week, my friend John Daniel told me about a guy in Kentucky who made a full-size replica of Noah's Ark!! I said "I'm going to be in Kentucky next week, so I'll send you a picture." Well, it is less than 2 hours from Louisville (and less than 1 hour from my Super 8 in Lexington), so I saw it (it is open until midnight for the first 40 days [until August 15, 2016]). There were cars from California, Alaska, and even Hawaii in the parking lot! The Ark itself is REALLY BIG!!


The inside is also constructed:

and the restaurant next to it has dioramas!

Hey, if you are within a couple of hours of it, I recommend the visit. As I wrote Ellie, every man should have a hobby - mine is climbing 4000 footers and visiting Art Museums, his is building Noah's Ark! (Ark Encounter in Williamstown, KY)

8 PM check in at Super 8 Lexington Kentucky - pizza and sudoku. Thank you GOD for a Great Day!
Note: the twisty/turny road (KY 467) I took to get to Ark Encounter was a Lovely Drive, with grasslands/hills/streams.


Music today:
Yesterday I heard Miles Davis do All Of You twice - live, different nights at The Plugged Nickel. They sounded really good, so I wanted to start this day (cooler in the morning, so windows rolled up, meaning I could hear the music better) with his Complete Live At The Plugged Nickel 1965 8-cd set

I made it through 2 and 1/2 cds before it got warm enough to drive with all the windows down, so I switched to rock-and-roll:

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes, 1979


and then, because I'm going through the Great Midwest:
John Cougar - John Cougar, 1979

(fourth track is "The Great Midwest")

John Cougar Mellencamp - Scarecrow, 1985


John Cougar Mellencamp - The Lonesome Jubilee, 1987


John Cougar Mellencamp - Big Daddy, 1989


I've got to start writing this stuff down, because I forget the rest of today's music.

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire (I have done all 48-of-48 thru July 2016!!)
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment