Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The Kentucky Trip: Day Three

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - Another 2 museums, and my first State Park of this trip!

Because I was not due at the Huntington Museum of Art until 10, I had an easy morning, leaving around 8.

Last week I had emailed the museums I planned to visit, seeing if the specific pieces of art that I was interested in, were "available for viewing?" Notice that I did not say "On display?" - I have had some wonderful surprises when pieces-in-storage have been brought out just for my viewing!! Chris Hatten is the Senior Curator at the Huntington Museum of Art in Huntington, West Virginia and, although they had a Board Meeting at noon, he was able to meet with me in the morning. So I got there at 9:59 AM!

David Johnson - October, Cos Cob, Connecticut, 1878

(from storage)

William Stanley Haseltine - Venice Boats, 1870s, watercolor


Childe Hassam - Lincoln's Birthday Flags -- 1918, 1918


and there were three early watercolors from Andrew Wyeth! Where is my "Wyeth Watercolors" book when I need it!

March Light, 1938

Young Fisherman in a Dory, 1935


I then went an hour down the road to the Clay Center for the Arts and Sciences in Charleston, West Virginia. Their Art Gallery is the Juliet Museum of Art, which houses the museum’s Permanent Collection. Neither painting by Jervis McEntee or William Sonntag were on display, but I enjoyed seeing two by Frederick Waugh:
Late Afternoon, n.d.


Breaking Surf, n.d.


I then had 4 more stops to make (it started as only one, but I LOVE having the flexibility to stop-and-look when I see something cool!)
The first stop is Kanawha Falls on the Kanawha River:


The second stop I just drove right by, and had to loop back to see, is Cathedral Falls in the town of Gauley Bridge:



The third stop (the only one I planned) is Hawks Nest State Park. Um, I am literally the only person here - no Rangers, no employees, no customers, no nobody except little old me!


Have you ever had an entire State Park all to yourself?? It is pretty awesome! Hawks Nest consists of a hike up to a run-down building:

and a hike out to a beautiful overlook of the New River:


Then, as I was driving to the Super 8 in Beckley, I saw a sign for Canyon Rim Visitor Center!! So I had to go there! It is the main visitor center for the New River Gorge National River (like a National Park). Although the Canyon Rim Visitor Center is north of this map, this is the area I will be exploring tomorrow (staying 2 nights in Beckley):


Of course, with a name like "Canyon Rim", you expect some GREAT VIEWS!!


I went to the movies tonight! It was a lot of fun!


Chick-fil-A dinner afterwards. Thank you GOD for a Great Day! 283 miles today.

Music today:
I tried listening to some new music on my silver nano - East Of Eden by Taken By Trees, but the music is just too quiet for windows-rolled-down highway driving; I soon switched to rock-and-roll:

The Doors - The Doors, 1967


Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II, 1969


I've got to start writing this stuff down, because I forget the rest of today's music.

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire (I have done all 48-of-48 thru July 2016!!)
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Wow Wow Waterfalls! And how cool that you got to swim and see the movie, too. Love, Caroline!

    ReplyDelete