Thursday, July 21, 2016

The Kentucky Trip: Day Four

Thursday, July 21, 2016 - Hiking around New River Gorge National River


Wow, what a relaxing morning doing my blog, and drinking coffee! Left the Super 8 at 10, got to the Sandstone Visitor Center at 10:30 - they have a cool inlay-map on the floor:


I had a nice view at a picnic table while I planned today's stops:


My first stop was going to be Sandstone Falls - south 10 miles to Hinton, over the bridge, then back up the west side for 9 miles. There are a couple of nice turnouts/views on the way south, but the real fun starts when you are down on the River itself. This is the Brooks Falls area, about halfway up to Sandstone Falls:


What a BEAUTIFUL DAY!


I got to Sandstone Falls around noon:

Using MapMyWalk, I walked (not "hiked" - the elevation gain was only 37 feet) 1.61 miles.

As you cross a bridge to the island, you see the first set of smaller falls (but still Pretty Nice):


The main hiking trail is an elevated boardwalk:

while the Island Loop Trail is a scruffy path (more of what I am used to):


The Boardwalk takes you to a good viewpoint for the Sandstone Falls:

but you have to scramble on a rocky side-trail to get "up close and personal"


Of course I had to have my swim at Brooks Falls on the way back:


The West Virginia Highway Department does not mow some areas - this allows wildflowers to grow. This beautiful field is at the exit from I-64 I took to Grandview:


Grandview (also a part of the New River Gorge National River system) is very aptly named:



I like having people in my photos - I think it gives some perspective to what you are seeing.

There are also some fun trails at Grandview. This is Castle Rock Trail looking north:

and then further on the trail looking back south:


And a final view as I hiked back to the parking area:


I hiked 2.32 miles at Grandview:


For dinner, I just walked up the hill to Outback Steakhouse - french onion soup and an order of steak quesadillas. Thank you GOD for a Great Adventure Day today! 101 miles driven today.

Music today:
Van Morrison - The Best of ..., Vol. 2, 1993


Creedence Clearwater Revival - Chronicle, Vol. 1, 1976

It put a big smile on my face driving down along the New River, listening to Creedence sing "rollin', rollin', rollin' on a river".

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire (I have done all 48-of-48 thru July 2016!!)
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment