Monday, October 20, 2014

Upper Midwest - Day Three

Monday is when (almost all) museums are closed, so today is "Nature Day" - over the bridge to the Upper Peninsula, see Lake Michigan and Lake Superior, plus three-of-the-five best waterfalls in Wisconsin

450 miles, 11 hours

Because Michigan is at the far-left end of the Eastern Time Zone, it is light later at night (good for yesterday's driving), but it is pitch black at 7 AM. As a result, I could not see anything when I went over the Mackinac Bridge - it should be a spectacular view! It remained dark for a while, eventually lightening when I got near Munising Bay on Lake Superior, with its view of Grand Island



Lake Superior was a little rough!



I stopped at Agate Falls, and then made my way down route 2W to Potato River Falls. The falls are great:

and I even got a selfie:


The cottonwood/aspen/birch are beautiful up here, but maybe a week past peak foliage


My next stop was Amnicon Falls. I saw cascades:

Upper Falls:

and Lower Falls:


Only 20 miles away is Big Manitou Falls & Gorge State Natural Area (which is also less than 20 miles from Duluth). There is a beautiful pond that feeds the Falls:


Although the individual parts of Big Manitou Falls are very impressive (there are two observation decks on the north side), the only way to see them all together is from an outlook on the south side


I did some hiking down to the "End of State Park Trail"

and a beautiful area


At the end of my visit I saw Little Manitou Falls


Google Earth has a great view of the area:


And then off to Duluth! I lost an hour with the time zone change, so check-in was 6:30 - plenty of time to work on my big project for Wendy: we spoke and we are going to meet Deede in LA!! I'll let you know the details later.

Monday, October 20, 2014

for this trip I am listening only to double-albums - let's see where that takes us

Miles Davis Quintet - The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965 (live recording, released 1995)(only discs 1,2, and 3 this morning)


Van Morrison - It's Too Late To Stop Now (live recording, released 1974)


Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder (live recording, released 1988)


Joni Mitchell - Miles of Aisles (live recording, released 1974)


Warren Zevon - I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (anthology, released 1996)


No comments:

Post a Comment