Saturday, August 28, 2021

2021 Fall Trip - Day 5 - 8/28/2021

Saturday, August 28, 2021 - Big Day Today (hey, it doesn't count unless it's a "Big Day"!), going from Williston, North Dakota to Conrad, Montana - 565 miles in 12 hours 21 minutes (9:11 Central Time to 8:32 Mountain Time):

I have said this before, but there sure is a lot of "out there" out there:

I reached the Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument at 1:50
The Lewis and Clark Expedition passed through the Breaks in 1805. I have just been driving south, and on the other side of the river is where I turn west/right and drive the Missouri Breaks Back Country Byway [29.7 miles to Winifred, MT].

It's a "Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" to drive on a dirt road:

The view from the top of the hill is PRETTY COOL:
At least I'm not alone out here:
After Winifred, MT, I had to head south to Denton:
And yes, there really are Speed Limits out here - it's just that they are all 70.

At 5:50 I reached Upper Missouri River Breaks Interpretive Center (they were closed):
which is on the banks of the beautiful Missouri River:

To get up to Conrad, Montana, Google Maps had me driving on some PRETTY BAD ROADS:
It eventually got SO BAD (ran out of telephone poles) that I turned around and went back to the paved road, which eventually got me down to Great Falls, Montana. From there I took I-15 North to the Super 8 in Conrad. Check in at 8:33 PM:

Thank You God for all this wonderful time out-here!

Music for today:

I started just listening to the local rock station, which kept me going for 2 hours. Then I started on my music:

Lady Antebellum - Just a Kiss - Single, 2011


Laura Nyro - Gonna Take A Miracle, 1971


Shortly after the release of this album, I saw her at a beautiful concert hall in Philadelphia my freashman year at Penn - lovely concert.

Leo Kottke - My Feet Are Smiling, live album recorded 1972, released 1973


Linda Ronstadt - Greatest Hits 1 and 2




Livingston Taylor - Carolina Day: The Livingston Taylor Collection (1970 - 1980), 1998


Lou Reed - NYC Man: The Ultimate Lou Reed Collection

Pretty bad stuff - I only kept 3 songs.

Louis Prima and Keely Smith - Live From Las Vegas

This album is A LOT OF FUN!

Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road, 1998

Um, well, YEA - of course.

Carly Simon - Clouds in My Coffee, 1995 3-cd box set

"A legend's only a lonely boy
when he goes home alone."

And I get tears ALL THE TIME when I hear the song: "What Shall We Do with the Child".

Bob Seger - Against the Wind, 1980


various - Phil Spector: Back To Mono (disc 2)


Cat Stevens - Catch Bull 1t Four, 1972


No comments:

Post a Comment