Thursday, August 26, 2021

2021 Fall Trip - Day 3 - 8/26/2021

Thursday, August 26, 2021 - I will be going across the Upper Peninsula today ("the U.P."), seeing some waterfalls and driving some Scenic Roads - 523 miles in 13 hours 30 minutes:

I'm sort of surprised seeing fresh-water seagulls:

HUGE amount of FOG this morning - I hope it burns off for my "Scenic" roads:

My first destination was Brimley, MI. From there I head north/northwest to access the Whitefish Bay National Forest Scenic Byway:
The fog cleared:
20 minutes along, I stopped at a pull-out area:
Went down a little path across the road:
and was at a BEAUTIFUL BEACH:

A few minutes later I was at Naomikong Overlook, but I didn't see any access for a trail, so I headed down the road to Paradise:
Well, it can't be much of a "Paradise" because my Wonderful Wfie IS NOT HERE! I got coffee, sandwich and postcards.

After the "Scenic Byway" ends, the road continues on to Tahquamenon Falls, with the first stop being the Lower Falls:
which gave me a nice 1.24 mile hike:
I headed up the road to the "Upper Falls" entrance:
With its opportunity for another hike:
The best way is to take the boardwailk to the left, and go down to the river to get a distant view of the Falls:
When you return, and go up-river, you get closer and closer:

From there it was a 4-and-1/2 hour drive west to the Black River National Forest Scenic Byway:
There are 5 waterfalls near the end of this Scenic Byway, but after my earlier experience, I think they are kind-of-tame:
So I headed to the end of the Scenic Byway at "Black River Harbor", with its opening into Lake Superior:
Don't worry - going back down the road I came to a FULL STOP:

Checked into the Super 8 in Duluth at 8:11 PM (Central Time):
523 miles in 13-and-1/2 hours. WOW - Thank You God for these GREAT ADVENTURES!

Music for today:

Luke Bryan - Tailgates and Tanlines, 2011 third album


Neil Young - Bluenote Café, 2015 live double-album


... I'm running out of time. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment