Friday, February 7, 2020

Big Bend Nat'l Park, Day 5/6 - Cattail Falls, Seminole Canyon State Park

Friday, Feb. 7, 2020 - So, I was sitting in my motel room, still dark outside, and I thought "I wonder where those "State Parks with a Canyon" are between here and where I will lay my head tonight?". I pulled up Google Maps, and followed US-90 east. It turns out that Seminole Canyon State Park is right on my way:


8:45 AM - time to say goodbye to Big Bend Resort Motel:

and Room #12:


It took 45 minutes to get to the unmarked dirt road, which is the access to Cattail Falls Trail:

Its right across from the turnout for Sam Nail Ranch Trail, so its easy to find.

It was a nice hike - 6.15 miles, 2 hours 31 minutes:


You can see the tail-end of my Window Trail two days ago.

15 minutes later I saw another deer, wandering through the scrub:

(don't worry, I can't find him in this picture either.)

The road is nice and smooth (for a dirt road):

and you even get to a SIGN:



After 1.9 miles you get to the "big tree", and the turn-off for the Cattail Falls Trail:




It was a beautiful desert-hike, with the mountains on my left:





Ok - contrary to the Poster, the "Falls" are non-existent:

and the water pools up there smell like something died in them.


I had a great hike back to the car:

Can you see it - two miles away?



Things I did not do today:
I did not hike up (or down) "The Wash":


even though I thought about it (a little) going up, and thought about it (A LOT) coming back down.

Ah, "things done, and left undone."

Back at the car a little after noon. Stopped at Panther Junction Visitor Center and took a couple of pictures of their 3-d model:



Headed north, and got out of The Park:


In Marathon, I filled the gas tank. 80° heading east on US-90:

and I reached Seminole Canyon State Park just after 4 PM:


Although they had construction going on, it was open for hiking. Unfortunately, the hiking closed at 3 PM, so I took some pictures:



and hit the road, Jack.

I checked into the La Quinta Inn in Del Rio at 5 PM (it was a "free night" because of my points!!). Some kind of sub for dinner. Then night 4 of "Heavy Rescue: 401" on The Weather Channel. WOW - Thank you God for all these Wonderful Adventures!

Driving Music:

Grateful Dead - Europe '72, 1972 live triple album

As I was entering Big Bend National Park, I told the same guard "The Doors yesterday - the Grateful Dead today." He said "Man, you're living right!"

Lyrics - "Jack Straw":

...
Leaving Texas
Fourth day of July
Sun so hot, clouds so low
The eagles filled the sky

Catch the Detroit Lightning out of Santa Fe
Great Northern out of Cheyenne
From sea to shining sea

No comments:

Post a Comment