Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Fall 2018, Day 5 - South Dakota

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - South Dakota - 536 miles today:



It was another BEAUTIFUL morning when I left Mitchell, South Dakota at 9 AM (51℉ at 6:15 AM). Funny, I always left out the "in" when I spelled it:



On the crest above the Missouri River is a Lewis and Clark rest area, with the "Dignity" statue:



The trail behind the staute looks out over the Missouri River. Across the river on the left is Oacoma:

I have wanted to visit Oacoma ever since first seeing the old sign at the western end of the Mass Pike:

(unfortunately, I saw this trip that they have replaced that sign with one that does not mention "Oacoma, South Dakota". pity.)

Before I leave this rest area, I wanted to see a few things.

Lewis and Clark journeyed up the Missouri River in 2 boats - one smaller for the rapids/upstream, and one large Keelboat:

I was glad to see the sail on the boat. The wind has been howling from the South the past couple of days, and I have had to drive with my window rolled up just to keep from getting blasted from the left side.

They also moved upstream by rowing:

Setting or Poling

and by Towing or Cordelling

Definitely NOT my idea of a Fun Road Trip!!

Their map, on the other hand, is certainly inspiring to those of us contemplating Road Trips:


On display was a nice National Geographic map of this part of the country I will be exploring:


Then across the Missouri River:

to see Oacoma:



Um, what do you suppose "90 Closed When Flashing" means? Maybe snow/winter driving? We should ask Deede - she came through here in February.

It's good to be on the road:



Sunflowers in South Dakota:

Scenic Overlook:


Two guys saying Hi in Wall, South Dakota:

Of course I got my "5¢ coffee" plus a couple of postcards:

You don't see that very much around these parts:


If you're searching for Faith:

or maybe you have recently come to Faith:



My afternoon drive was lovely (84℉ early afternoon). I would much rather drive 66 on 2-lane blacktop "highways" (speed limit 65) than drive 80 on the big Interstates (speed limit 80). Also, I would like to give a special shout-out to the Cheyenne River Valley - I crossed through it quickly on 63 North this afternoon - beautiful trees, green grasses, clear water. Thank you God for this beautiful place.

Speaks for itself:


The Annunciation Monastery (the "Jewel of the Prairie") was closed by the time I got there. Checked into the Super 8 Bismarck, North Dakota (their big Super 8 sign is still in the box). Hot bath, then an excellent dinner at Texas Roadhouse:

Yes, that is the remains of a Caesar salad!

and bed shortly thereafter. Thank you God for this great adventure day!

Music for today I kept moving up the "R" albums:

Paul Simon - Rhythm of the Saints, 1990


Lyrics "Cool, Cool River":

I believe in the future
I may live in my car

Ra Ra Riot - The Rhumb Line, 2008


the Beatles - Revolver, 1966


Then, because I'm going hiking in a couple of days and I want the songs in my head:

the Beatles - Help!, 1965


back to the "R"s:

Rush - Retrospective II 1981-1987, 1997 compilation album

A rock band from Canada, Rush is great driving music, to begin with. With songs like "Distant Early Warning", they evoke NORAD and the wide-open Canadian prairie, which is just north of where I am driving today. I also love "Subdivisions"!

lyrics: "New World Man":

He's old enough to know what's right
But young enough not to choose it

Buffalo Springfield - Retrospective - The Best of Buffalo Springfield, 1969


Richie Havens - Resume: The Best of Richie Havens, 1993


Regina Spektor - Remember Us To Life, 2016


The Miles Davis Quintet - Relaxin', 1958


Patty Larkin - Regrooving the Dream, 2000


No comments:

Post a Comment