Sunday, August 26, 2018

Fall 2018, Day 2 - Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Butler Institute of American Art, Canton Museum of Art, Counting Crows!

Sunday, August 26, 2018 - Church, 3 Art Museums, and Counting Crows - 431 miles today:



Up and at 'em early, to get to the 8 AM Service at St. Bartholomew's Anglican Church in Tonawanda (just north of Buffalo):


Fr. Arthur Ward remembered me - Wendy and I were there Nov. 13, 2016, and I had a solo visit on Oct. 19, 2014.

It was a few minutes to get to the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo:
pretty cool sculpture made out of steel canoes:

I visited only once before - Nov. 11, 2014. My favorites include:
Albert Bierstadt - "The Marina Piccola, Capri", 1859:

Claude Monet - "Chemin de halage à Argenteuil (Towpath at Argenteuil, Winter)", 1875-76

Jackson Pollock - "Convergence", 1952

(I think the red checked shirt goes especially well with early-1950's Pollock.)

By 2 PM I was down at the Butler Institute of American Art in Youngstown, Ohio - a Beautiful building!



I have only been here once, on my 1st cross-country trip in September 2013. I'm Very Glad to be back! Um, I took pictures of 38 works of art - my 6 favorite are:
Frederic Edwin Church - "In The Andes", 1878:

Winslow Homer - "Snap The Whip", 1872:

Thomas Moran - "An Arizona Sunset Near The Grand Canyon", 1898:

Albert Bierstadt - "The Oregon Trail", 1869

Thomas Hill - "Bridal Veil Falls, Yosemite"

William Trost Richards - "Lands End, Cornwall", 1888

and it was great seeing Thomas Hart Benton's watercolor - "Chilmark"


Driving through Ohio, I reached the Canton Museum of Art by 4:30

although I knew of only one piece I wanted to see - Winslow Homer - "Girl Picking Clover (Houghton Farm)", c. 1878 watercolor:

I did get to take some "costume pictures" for Ellie:



Then it was an hour drive back up to the Blossom Music Center (Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio) to see The Crows again - this is the last time our paths will cross in 2018; they are playing in Pittsburgh on August 30, but I'll be 1000 miles west of there by then.


I listened to the first band - Boom Forest - from the lawn:

and after his impassioned plea to get enough gas for his Prius to "drive all the way to Montana", I bought their 2 cds:

The crowd was GREAT, my seat was Excellent, Live was very good, and The Crows were WONDERFUL:



I wound up (encore) up in the 3rd row! Long drive afterward down to Mansfield, Ohio, where I checked in at 12:30:


Drive all day - Rock 'n Roll all night! WOW - Thank you God for this wonderful adventure day!

Music for today was albums from my big iPod:

because it sounded so good last night - Steely Dan - Royal Scam, 1976


and then I moved up the "R" albums:

Roy Haynes Trio - Roy Haynes Trio, 2000


Miles Davis - 'Round About Midnight, 1957


various - Rough Guide - The Music of Brazil, 1998


John Mayer - Room For Squares, 2001 first album


Rod Stewart - The Rod Stewart Album, 1969 first solo album


Bill Conti - Rocky, 1976 soundtrack


Barenaked Ladies - Rock Spectacle (Live), 1996


after the concert:
Boom Forest - Boom Forest, 2014 first cd


nice, but a little too quite for this time of night.

The Band - Rock of Ages, 1972 live double-album


No comments:

Post a Comment