Sunday, November 3, 2019

Pennsylvania Art Museums: Day 4/4

Sunday, Nov. 3, 2019 - Wendy has a Retreat this weekend up in New Hampshire, so I'm on a 4-day road-trip, mostly focused on Pennsylvania Art Museums. Today I will be coming home:


The map shows me backtracking to the Good Shepherd Anglican Church in Harrisburg. I don't like backtracking, but I made my Rodeway Inn reservation before I figured out where I was going to church - but it all worked out. I left at 8 AM, headed west through Hershey, PA ("The Sweetest Place on Earth") and got to the church 10 minutes before 9. Good Shepherd Anglican Church meets in the downstairs of the Zion Lutheran Church:




After church - It was a beautiful day to be driving through the Pennsylvania countryside:


I reached the Reading Art Museum at 11:30


I have been here once before (4/22/2014). I wanted to come back and get Better Pictures than I had gotten before, and see new art from their collection. Highlights include:

Jasper Cropsey - "Passing Shower on a Spring Afternoon", 1846 oil:


Frederic Edwin Church - "Syria: Ruins by the Sea", 1873-74 oil:

Wendy and I had seen this painting in June 2018 when we went down to the Wadsworth Atheneum (Hartford, CT) for an exhibition: "Frederic Church: A Painter’s Pilgrimage"; if I'm starting to repeat myself, at least I'm having a beautiful time.

Edmund Darch Lewis - "Landscape", 1860 oil:


Down in the basement lowest floor is a HUGE painting - Christopher High Shearer - "Smoky Range, Allegheny Mountains", 1895 oil:



And for Ellie, a Costume Exhibition - "Costume and the Cinema":


and I couldn't leave without saying Hi-and-Goodbye to the diorama:


I love the Pennsylvania-stone houses:


It took me an hour to get to the Allentown Art Museum (Allentown, PA):


and see their Canaletto - View of Piazza San Marco, Venice", ca. 1740-45 oil:


and yes, Another Costume exhibition - "Designing Hollywood":


From here, Google Maps originally had me going east on I-78, merging into I-287, and going over the Hudson River on the Tappan Zee Bridge just north of New York City. I have gooten a little gun-shy about going anywhere near New York City, and the Tappan Zee Bridge is just a little too close for me (on a Sunday afternoon). So I headed northeast through the Delaware Water Gap:

which was a lovely drive.

I eventually picked up I-84 East, which was a nice easy (fast) drive. My (aggressive) timing just did not work out today, and I reached the New Britain Museum of American Art at 4:55

They close at 5 PM. They actually have TWO wonderful exhibitions currently - "The Art and Artists of Monhegan Island" [AUG 15, 2019 - AUG 30, 2020] and "For America: Paintings from the National Academy of Design" [OCT 17, 2019 - JAN 26, 2020]. Wendy and I will be back!

Dinner on the road, and home by 9 PM - Thank You God for this GREAT 4-day 1,500-mile Road Trip!!

Today, for my listening pleasure, I started with the last album on yesterday's cd (I burned with mp3s back in August 2000):

Bob Dylan - The Times They Are a-Changin', 1964 third album


And then it was time for another cd I burned with mp3s back in August 2000:

Counting Crows - Across a Wire: Live in New York City, 1998 double live album


Pearl Jam - Binaural, 2000


The Cure - Bloodflowers, 2000

Since I can't see all the info when I'm driving, it was fun guessing that this album was by The Cure.

Vertical Horizon - Everything You Want, 1999


The Fabulous Thunderbirds - Walk That Walk, Talk That Talk, 1991


Steely Dan - Katy Lied, 1975


Matthew Sweet - 100% Fun, 1995


No comments:

Post a Comment