Saturday, November 2, 2019

Pennsylvania Art Museums: Day 3/4

Saturday, Nov. 2, 2019 - Wendy has a Retreat this weekend up in New Hampshire, so I'm on a 4-day road-trip, mostly focused on Pennsylvania Art Museums. Today will be my big "Trip West":


I left the Super 8 in Carlisle at 7 AM, and got to the Carnegie Museum of Art (Pittsburgh, PA) at 10:00:03:

It opens at 10 AM, so pretty pretty pretty good timing, if I do say so myself!

I have been here once before (10/8/2013). I wanted to come back and get Better Pictures than I had gotten before, and see new art from their collection. Highlights include:

Thomas Moran - "Clearing in the Mountains", 1865 oil:


Martin Johnson Heade - "Thunderstorm at the Shore", c. 1870-1871 oil:


Jasper Cropsey - "Florence", 1875 oil:


Vincent van Gogh - "Wheat Fields after the Rain (The Plain of Auvers)", 1890 oil:


Jackson Pollock - "Number 4", 1950 oil:


And YES - IT WAS PRETTY COOL hanging out with Monet's "Water Lilies (Nymphéas)", c. 1915 - 1926 oil:


It took me an hour to go 31 miles east, to The Westmoreland Museum of American Art (Greensburg, PA):

Good thing I have "Road Food":


I have been here once before (10/11/2016). I wanted to come back and get Better Pictures than I had gotten before, and see new art from their collection (no "Special Tour" this time). Highlights include:

Jervis McEntee - "Twilight on the River", c. 1875 oil:


Childe Hassam - "The Outer Harbour", 1909 oil:


Worthington Whittredge - Home by the Sea, c. 1872 oil:


And I always appreciate seeing something from the Cape and Islands when I'm out here on the road - Joseph McGurl - "Nantucket Harbor", 1994 oil:


I was originally planning on visiting a gallery in Carlisle, PA, which closed at 4. I have had a difficult time hitting it over the years - it is just far enough away that it is closed by the time I get there, or it is not open on the weekends. And it turns out that today continues that string - on my way to Pittsburgh, I passed a sign for "Flight 93 National Memorial". At the next rest stop, I checked Google Maps on my phone, and it is on US Hwy 30, 42 miles east of Greensburg. So I headed east and got there at 1:30 PM:



Like the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C., or Gettysburg nearby, this is a very somber place. Visitors pay their respects to the passengers and crew who sacrificed themselves to stop one of the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001 - this plane was headed for the White House:


The Visitor-Center area has an open area, directly along the flight path:



The inscription reads: "A common field one day. A field of honor forever."

I hiked the 3/4-mile path down to the Wall of Names/Memorial Plaza:



The boulder marks the crash site:


Looking back up at the Visitor Center:




Back up closer to the highway is a beautiful tower - the Tower of Voices:


It is unfinished, but it looks like it will be a beautiful installation (it already is!)

Sure is pretty driving through the Pennsylvania countryside:


So, I wasn't going to make The Trout Gallery back in Carlisle --- so I decided to GO TO PARIS!

"New Paris, Pennsylvania 15554", that is - ha ha ha, I crack me up!

Made it to the Rodeway Inn in Lebanon, PA - pizza and college football. I'm All Set!


Thank you God for this great Art Day!

Today, for my listening pleasure, it is a cd I burned with mp3s back in August 2000:

Joe Jackson - Night and Day, 1982


lyrics "Steppin' Out":
Get into a car and drive

Joni Mitchell - Night Ride Home, 1991


Jimmy Page and Robert Plant - Walking into Clarksdale, 1998


Patti Scialfa - Rumble Doll, 1993


Rickie Lee Jones - Pop Pop, 1991

An album of covers - the Best 2 are Jimi Hendrix's "Up from the Skies" and "Comin' Back to Me" from the first Jefferson Airplane album.

Neil Young - Silver & Gold, 2000

There is a great line in the song "Without Rings" - "Fighting drugs with pain."

The Rolling Stones - Some Girls, 1978


The Rolling Stones - Stripped, 1995 studio + live


Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow, 1967 first album


James Taylor - That's Why I'm Here, 1985


Tom Waits - The Black Rider, 1993

This album is garbage - Waits just growling and yelling. Now I know why I don't have anything by him since the late-70s (when he was Really Cool).

No comments:

Post a Comment