Saturday, November 18, 2017

Grand Canyon/Los Angeles - Day 7

Saturday, November 18, 2017 - I get the day to myself, so I hit the road and saw a pair of museums I had not seen before:

150 miles - The Irvine Museum Collection, the Laguna Art Museum, and the Huntington Library/Art Collections (I previously visited the Huntington with Wendy back in 2014, but they have a GREAT collection) - its going to be a GREAT DAY!

Easy getting down to the Irvine Museum Collection at the University of California, Irvine:

which is in the ground floor of what looks to be a fancy office building:

The paintings they had on display were part of an exhibit titled "Moods of California" - pictures of California by California artists. Although they did not show the William Keith painting I was hoping to see, they did have a BEAUTIFUL Thomas Hill - Yosemite Falls, 1885 (Private Collection)

It took my breath away!

I then headed further south along Highway 1 to Laguna Beach:

Um, Laguna Beach is REALLY NICE:






The Laguna Art Museum

had an exhibition called California Mexicana: Missions to Murals, 1820-1930:

They had a BEAUTIFUL Thomas Moran - Cortez Tower, Mexico, 1883, on loan from the Gilcrease Museum, Tulsa, Oklahoma. I have not seen it before!

Another highlight was Samuel Colman - On the Viga, Outskirts of the City of Mexico, 1892 (from the Brooklyn Museum)


I grabbed a panini in town, and had lunch on the road, heading back up north. Traffic was bad, and it was 2;30 when I turned off for what I thought was the way to the Huntington. I got lost - instead of heading NORTH on South Atlantic Blvd, I headed SOUTH on North Atlantic Blvd!! By the time I figured out what was wrong, it was time to head back to Bel Air. Good thing I did that - I-10 was PACKED with people going to tonight's game at the Coliseum - UCLA versus USC! (I saw some of the game in the bar at dinner). Got home in time for a dip in the pool:


Even with today's traffic, I still have to say THANK YOU GOD for these wonderful adventures!

Music for today was albums from my iPod:

Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays - As Falls Wichita, so Falls Wichita Falls, 1981


various artists - Surfin' USA, 1964


Tears For Fears - Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82-92), 1992


The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request, 1967


No comments:

Post a Comment