Sunday, April 24, 2022

4 Days in April - Day 3

Sunday, April 24, 2022 - Wendy is on a 6-day retreat - which gives me a GREAT opportunity for a ROAD TRIP:
1,800 miles in 4 days - 10 museums!

Today I will be heading back east, hitting 4 museums and covering 458 miles:

I had a relaxing end-of-trip yesterday - since today's first museum does not open until Noon, I selected a Quality Inn in Fremont, Ohio, and have a nice easy 3-hour drive to The Butler Institute of American Art in Youngstown, Ohio this morning. Um, it worked PERFECTLY - this photo was taken at 11:59 AM

I have been here twice before - on my 1st trip back in September 2013, and then again in August 2018. In addition to their wonderful collection of American Art, they are currently hosting an Exhibition I Really Want to see - STERANKO AND THE AMERICAN HERO:

I don't know about these pictures/paintings (well, I don't like them), but Jim Steranko was one of the GREAT late-60s/early-70s Comic Artists. From Wikipedia: "Steranko began his stint on the feature by penciling and inking "finishes" over Kirby layouts in Strange Tales #151 (Dec. 1966), just as many fellow new Marvel artists did at the time. Two issues later, Steranko took over full penciling and also began drawing the every-other-issue "Nick Fury" cover art." CLASSIC ART Pages include:


A GREAT 2-page action spread:

and an AWESOME illustration, spread out over 4 PAGES:

I own 2 books of his works - "Steranko: Graphic Narrative" was published 1977 by The Winnipeg Art Gallery to accompany an exhibit they did in 1977:

and "Marvel presents The Captain America Collector's Edition" (1981):

Today's exhibition, unfortunately, are of his more-recent paintings. I think they lack the clean lines and finesse of his comic-book work, and (to my eye) they seem like a caricature of The American Hero. I wish I had seen the Winnipeg Art Gallery exhibit.

The American Art at The Butler was excellent. Highlights include:

William Bradford - "Afternoon On The Labrador Coast", 1878 oil:

Frederic Church - "In The Andes", 1878 oil

Frederick Judd Waugh - "Breakers at Floodtide", 1909 oil:

Paul Jenkins - "Phenomena Ridge of Fire", 1996 acrylic:

William Keith - "An Autumnal Sunset on the Russian River", 1878 oil

and something new from an artist I do not know - Al Bright - "Title Unknown", c. 1986 oil:

From there I got down to the Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh, PA at 2:20
I had been here in 2013 and 2019, and it was great to be back. Highlights include:

Albert Bierstadt - "Farallon Island". 1887 oil:

Claude Monet - "Cliffs near Dieppe", 1882 oil:

Jiro Yoshihara - "White Painting", 1958 oil:

and I was able to see DINOSAURS!!!


MapMyWalk had fun with my exploring the Carnegie Museum of Art (1.13 miles):

It then took 20 minutes to drive 3 miles to A NEW MUSEUM - The Frick Pittsburgh:

Although their Monet is in The Clayton House (currently undergoing renovation), I was able to see Francesco Guardi - "The Grand Canal at Saint Geremia, Venice", c. 1760-65 oil:
And isn't that clever - I wanted a blow-up to see the colors and textures, and I wound up getting his signature:

It was hot leaving Pittsburgh:

Um, this will have to do for "church" for me today:

From Pittsburgh it was 40 minutes/27 miles to The Westmoreland Museum of American Art in Greensburg, PA:
(I like their "back entrance" better):

I have been here 2 times before (2016 and 2019) - Highlights today include:

Tiffany Studios - "The Thomas Lynch Tiffany Window", c. 1905:

James David Smillie - "Sunset on an Adirondack Lake", n.d. oil:

George Inness - "The Coming Shower", c. 1873 oil:

MapMyWalk at The Westmoreland Museum of American Art (0.51 miles):

I was able to capture a nice sunset:

After dinner on the road, I checked-in at the Quality Inn in Bethel, PA about 8:30 - Quality Inn has a promo going on: Stay 2 nights and get a free night in your account; sounds good to me! Don't forget "Highway Thru Hell" and "Heavy Rescue"!!!

SOOOO COOL - Thank You God for another Wonderful Adventure/Art Day!

Music for today:

The Bob Curnow Big Band - Music of Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays, 1995

Dave Matthews Band - Everyday, 2001

various artists - BOCA 2006, 1986 ("best of college a cappella")

Tripping Lily - The Day Everything Became Nothing, 2009
Sorry - too boring/quiet for my taste.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Then & Now (2 cds), 1998 double live album

Frank Sinatra - Sinatra Reprise: The Very Good Years, 1991

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment